22: Not M for Macy's, M for Medea

─────Vincent didn't like being slapped. Pretty girl or not.

"Ow!" he hissed, "What was that for? What's up with everyone straight up abusing me? This is a hate-crime by the way— I'M BEING HATE CRIMED—"

Piper made him shut up by slamming her palm on his mouth and glaring until Vincent shut up. His mind was still sluggish, but he knew out of all four of them, right now, Piper was the only one not affected by the Princess. 

"Snap out of it!" Piper hissed, taking her hand off his mouth since he tried to lick her palm. She wiped her hand on the side of her jeans.

"What do you mean?"

"She's charmspeaking you. Can't you feel it?"

At Piper's words, Vincent felt like a hot spike was removed from his forehead, a pain he hadn't even been aware of until it was gone. He massaged his nose bridge. "Fuck, she was convincing. She's more powerful than Drew, that's why it took me longer to realize, sorry"

"Nevermind, at least you're not under her control anymore" Piper looked grateful to have someone believe her for once. "The princess shouldn't even be alive! She was married to Jason-the other Jason-three thousand years ago. Remember what Boreas said-something about the souls no longer being confined to Hades? It's not just monsters who can't stay dead. She's come back from the Underworld!"

Vincent shook his head uneasily. "She's not a ghost though"

"No, she's worse! She's—"

"Children." The princess was back with the boys in tow. "If you please, we will now see what you came for. That is what you want, yes?"

Vincent had to choke back a scream. He was tempted to pull out his sword and take on this witch with Piper, but he didn't like their chances—not in the middle of Her Highness's department store while Leo and Jason were under a spell. Vincent couldn't even be sure they'd take Piper's side in a fight. They had to figure out a better plan.

He didn't like seeing Leo with glossed over eyes, nodding like an excited pre-teen with a crush on this Witch.

─────They took the escalator down to the base of the fountain. For the first time, Vincent noticed two large bronze sundials-each about the size of a trampoline-inlaid on the marble tile floor to the north and south of the fountain. The gilded oversize canary cages stood to the east and west, and the farthest one held the storm spirits. They were so densely packed, spinning around like a super-concentrated tornado, that Vincent couldn't tell how many there were-dozens, at least.

"Hey," Leo said, "Coach Hedge looks okay!"

They ran to the nearest canary cage. The old satyr seemed to have been petrified. Vincent had seen the old satyr around camp a few times, but he thought he'd retired. He was frozen mid-shout, his club raised over his head like he was ordering a gym class to drop and give him fifty. His curly hair stuck up at odd angles. He wore a truly atrocious outfit, even for a highschool coach (which is saying something). If Vincent just concentrated on certain details—the bright orange polo shirt, the wispy goatee, the whistle around his neck— he could imagine Coach as an actual coach at Leo's school.

"Yes," the princess said. "I always keep my wares in good condition. We can certainly barter for the storm spirits and the satyr. A package deal. If we come to terms, I'll even throw in the vial of healing potion, and you can go in peace." She gave Piper a shrewd look. "That's better than starting unpleasantness, isn't it, dear?"