14: Shelter (Wrong Beginning)

Start from the beginning

Sabre let out a cough. He was cold and tired.

Thunder rumbled, vibrating the ground from the sheer strength of it. Sabre didn't bother trying to push himself up again. The rain pelted his back, but he was so cold by now he could barely feel it.

More coughs forced themselves out, this time not ending until he was gasping for air.

Sabre shouldn't have left the castle, but he couldn't stay there any longer. Phantom needle points pricked his arms as he thought about the place. Was it really only a week since he left?

Maybe when Nightmare said the world was dangerous for him, he didn't mean just the people, but the actual world. He couldn't even survive a week outside without help. Sabre closed his eyes, sinking deeper into the ground, letting his mind wander.

His attention was caught when he could hear an animal stomping through the woods. He wondered if it was a predator, or if it was a sheep or something. He hoped it was a sheep. Sabre knew he was probably going to die out here, but he'd rather not be eaten alive.

He heard something take a sharp breath. Sabre didn't bother moving from where he laid. He felt slightly warmer, but he was probably use to the cold by now.

"...Catalyst?" A voice mumbled.

Sabre slowly opened his eyes, his eyelids feeling like lead. A Steve stood in his sight, raincoat and shoes being a bright orange along with their skin and hair.

An Orange Steve.

Coughs racked his body once more, not letting him get any air. He felt something roll him to his side, rubbing his back as the fit made its course.

When he finally was able to breath, he saw the Orange Steve knelt down by his side, a worried pinch in his brow.

Sabre groaned, blinking. "Well, you're still alive at least." The Steve above him sighed. "Come on. Let's get you somewhere safe."

Sabre felt the Orange Steve lift him into a bridal position with shocking ease. He stared up at the Steve. Why was he so calm...

Light hit his eyes when they moved, shining between the red and orange leaves.

Wait...

"Wha-" His throat was scratchy, and the sheer pain of speaking had him coughing. "'Ime?" He coughed out.

The Steve, who seemed to not even feel his weight, glanced down at him. "Nine in the morning." He paused. "How long have you been laying there?"

Sabre groaned as he tried to figure out the answers. "W'ile." He coughed. The grip on his body tightened.

The Steve hummed, the vibration rumbling against him. He sighed. Soaking in the warmth of the Steve.

He could care less as to what happens now. He was just tired

— —

Sabre jolted awake when he heard a raised voice speaking. Before he could figure out what was going on, he felt himself be moved, before he was laid on something soft.

An Orange Steve, a different one, looked down at him with wide eyes.

Sabre opened his mouth to say...something, only for the air to be stolen by coughs. He coughed.

And coughed.

And coughed.

Just when he thought he wasn't going to be able to breathe, the coughing fit ended, leaving him gasping for air.

He felt something prick his arm, before warmth hit his veins and spread throughout his body. Sabre sighed, his eyelids getting heavier.

A nap sounded nice...

— —

Sabre blinked his eyes slowly to see an unfamiliar ceiling above him as a droning of voices surrounded him.

"-for possible weeks."

"I know-"

Sabre shifted to see who was talking, only to freeze as everyone's heads snapped to him.

Four Steves were tucked into a corner, each one looking surprised. Two were familiar, one Sabre was pretty sure he had seen before, and one wasn't familiar at all.

"SABRE!" Orange darted to his bedside, a grin spread across his face. The others followed behind at a slower pace. "You're awake!"

"Orange?" He croaked out. Orange nodded, still grinning. "Where...?"

The semi-familiar one cleared his throat. "Ah, you're currently in the Orange Village. I found you after the storm."

Ah, that's why he was familiar. Sabre could faintly remember being found.

Sabre glanced at the other two. "Hey Shy..."

Shy gave a small wave.

Sabre went to push himself up and out of the bed, but the unknown Steve quickly walked up to him. "Ah ah ah!" The Steve gently pushed him back into the bed, but allowed him to stay sitting. "You still need rest. You are very sick and need to conserve the most energy you can."

Sabre didn't have it in him to fight against the order, simply relaxing back into the bed. He looked at the Steve that found him. "What's your name?"

"That's Leader Orange Steve!" Orange chirped. "And that one is Herbalist Orange Steve."

Leader smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Sabre."

"I can say the same, but please do not get that sick ever again." Herbalist ran a hand through his hair. "That's the worst case I've seen so far."

"Sorry." Sabre croaked out. Shy handed him a bottle of water. He took it, only to see a few bandages on his arm. "Couldn't stay there."

He received four surprised looks, and then Orange gasped. "You can stay with us!" His head snapped to Shy. "Right, Shy?!"

Shy squeaked, but nodded.

"But for now," Orange Leader interrupted Orange, who started mumbling about a new home and improvements. "You can take shelter here, until you are better."

Orange pouted while Sabre nodded. "Thank you..."

"It's no problem."

— — —

Words: 1591