08 | shooting stars

Start from the beginning

"Covering the label as you pour for someone else is a sign of respect," Dahyun chips in, tapping her glass on the table impatiently. "Doie, pour me one."

As Doyoung pours the soju, he adds, "You're also not supposed to pour it for yourself."

"Unless you're five bottles in and nothing really matters anymore," Yuta teases, eyes twinkling as he languidly tips his head back, Adam's apple bobbing as he gulps down the soju. He sets the bottle down and wipes at his mouth with his sleeve, still somehow managing to maintain an illusion of sobriety with how clear his eyes are.

You nod in understanding, taking a mental note of what they have said. Doyoung pours you a shot, but holds onto the glass before you can drink from it. "What's your alcohol tolerance like?"

You purse your lips for a second, thinking. "I'd say it's pretty good." Doyoung lifts an eyebrow sceptically, but he slides the shot glass across to you anyway.

"Just don't drink yourself to death," he warns you.

"Rest assured, I know my own limits."

Fame doesn't change people much

Fame doesn't change people much. You think you've kind of gotten a grasp on the personalities of each individual seated here, especially those of the GenU:Ine members, by the time midnight rolls around.

Taeyong and Irene enjoy the fame. Even if it may not be the only thing they're chasing, you can see from the smiles they display when they talk about performing, about being on stage in front of a large audience. You noticed that these two stood out the most tonight, despite Yuta's valiant efforts at acting up, Winter's attractive playing, Doyoung's quiet charm, and Dahyun's unobtrusive radiance.

Yuta seems to just be here for the fun of it. Regardless of how the conversation flows, he seems to be able to adapt to it, but he never gives an impassioned answer to anything anyone says, much unlike Doyoung. Yuta's easy laughter and languid pose strike you as odd, because you've never thought that someone who has been in the limelight could ever be this relaxed around strangers like you.

Their banter and dynamic draws you in, reminding you of the many interactions you've shared with your own friends. The jokes and shifty looks they share are similar to those you would share with your friends, especially when it's just the five of you alone in one of your apartments.

They are in their element, a comfort zone that isn't always comfortable. But despite the obvious challenges that come with being a growing band, they haven't seem to have lost their shine. You remember Dahyun's words to Winter, "I was always a little scared that the music industry wouldn't treat you well." Personally, you think that even if the industry treated all of them like shit, their resilience was going to keep them going anyway.

"I was just curious, why are you called GenU:Ine?" Phoebe asks, the question posed to no one in particular. "It just doesn't seem like the usual band names," she justifies hurriedly.