Bewildered

It was a morning out of the ordinary. Well, to be more precise, it was the morning when I get to enter the breathtaking doors of Kamii University for the first time. I went through a hard time trying to sink in a pile of books or drown myself in consistent studying just to transfer to this campus. I bet anyone who'd have the same dedication as I did would feel excited.

I walked along the jam-packed hallway with my favorite book held tightly to my chest. It was the start of a new semester so it was normal that people swarmed the campus. People thumped into me here and there. Somebody bumped hard into me and made me drop the book I was holding. I tried to stop and look back but the swarm kept shoving me somewhere else.

'Well, isn't that a good way to start? Add the fact that today was my first day. Aren't you a lucky little woogly pudding, [Name]' I thought to myself.

I don't even know what a woogly pudding is but it sounded like a dish that sat cold and alone at the end of a buffet table because nobody noticed, or wanted. Like me. Cold and unseen.

"Could somebody pass me that book please? Anybody?" I shouted repeatedly.

It was no use. Compared to the noise of the crowd, I was completely invisible. My book got trampled on and kicked to the curb of the corridors until I lost sight of it. Grrrr. I hated feeling pathetic so I bit my lip and decided to buy a drink to cool off. I dropped by a vending machine and bought my preferred drink.

"Uhm, excuse me! Miss!" I heard someone call out.

Just when I was about to take a sip on the rim of the can, somebody crashed unto me, making me fall on my knees and spill my drink.

"Ugh, that hurts!" I said as I rubbed the back of my head. 'Damn it, could this day get any worse? And what's with me and bumping unto people?' I spurred a furious look on my spilled drink then on the boy who crashed unto me. That was when I finally got the courage to stand up.

"What the hell was that all abou-"

To my surprise, the teen looked more stunned than I did. For some reason, he was wearing a medical eye patch on his left eye. His dark raven hair was tenderly brushed by the touch of the breeze. His cheeks flushed a deep cherry red as he handed me a familiar-looking item. It was my book.

"I'm so sorry! P-please calm down. It's just that... that idiot Hide... he pushed me... and I k-kind of... but that's not the point. I came here to give this back to you. I'm so sorry, p-please let me make it up to you," he said as he gave me a complete 90-degrees bow.

"H-how did you find it?" Trust me. I almost cried the moment I laid my hands on my book.

"Well you see... my friend Hide and I were walking to our class when I almost stepped on your book. I saw your name written on it so I looked for you. But then when we finally found you, Hide pushed me all of a sudden and I... I'm really sorry!"

"It's alright and thank you for returning it. Would it be okay if you tell me your-"

"Well, I'm kind of in a hurry right now. I hope I see you again, [Name]-chan."

"Oh and... you have a great taste in books," He said as he gave me a gentle smile and paced towards the hallway.

"Wait!" I tried to stop him but I couldn't. Instead, I watched his image slowly fade away, leaving me utterly dumbfounded.

'But how did he know that it was my name?'