A Smile On Those Soft Lips

Start from the beginning

Stepping towards your door, your hands instinctively swung the door open as your gaze was met with a cart tray with your breakfast at the time. It was set on a silver platter, covered by a large metallic lid allowing minimal scent from entering your nostrils. As expected from its aroma alone, rich in its savory taste with a hint of sweetness; it was vanilla to be exact, causing your mouth to water from it. Truly, your chefs truly did have exceptional culinary skills making you question if they should have worked for the royal family instead. Your lips curved upwards as your gaze slowly removed from the metal showing your distorted reflection to the maid bowing to you.

"Your breakfast, mistress." There was nothing more that she said before removing herself from your vision.

You were left there with your food as you took a few steps closer, opening the large lid revealing your nutritional meal for the day. Yet, you couldn't help but look to your left knowing his presence was there.

Your gaze met Blade's but he did not say anything as expected when he was stationed at your bedroom door. He was not much of the person to start a conversation after all in comparison to your previous knights. It has been a week so far. No, it had been more than two weeks since this man had been assigned as your bodyguard.

As expected, you never got closer to him nor even held a proper conversation knowing that he prefers just following you around like some haunted ghost lingering in the mansion. However, he had not shown any hints of homicidal tendencies towards you. You started to think to yourself, maybe he was not there to take revenge after all. Hopefully...

"Have you eaten anything before coming here? Your voice spoke, silencing the awkwardness.

"Yes I have..." He replied, his right hand going towards the scabbard on his waist. There was no doubt that his guard was up despite being inside safely in the mansion.

"That's good then..." Your gaze remained at him but Blade broke it off first, staring idly at the window. His hair, tied in a ponytail behind made him look plainer but the ray of sunlight somehow complements his glistening eyes. No doubt anyone will not catch a second glance passing by despite his simple attire that's for sure. If he was rather more of a sociable person then he wouldn't have repelled other people. Besides, no one dares to approach him so ignorantly, including you. Suddenly remembering the way you screamed in terror waking up, you wanted to know if he was aware of it. "So, Blade, did you hear anything inside?"

"No, I have not." It was a quick short answer, but he was difficult to read. Normally your previous guards would've been honest or if they were dishonest toward you, you could tell right away from their body language.

"Well then, how about tonight? Will you plan on meeting the other guards?" You said, tilting your head slightly to get a better view of his face.

"I rather not."

"Then why don't you join the training area tonight? I've heard from the servants that they'll be planning on having a small party there for the soldiers in the mansion. If you go, people can get to know more about you." Hoping to brighten up his cold exterior, your hand gently rose up in a benevolent manner to pat his arm.

"You don't know me either, mistress. It's best for us to stay that way..." His voice was cold and stern, causing your hand to withdraw even without touching the fabric of his outer layer of clothing. A cold chill lingered down your spine but he didn't utter anything after that,

You held your breath immediately after his instant response, turning your head back to the cart. Only a few weeks yet he is right, you know nothing about this man other than the reputation he built over the years. Nonetheless, your hands held the handle as you pulled the tray back inside your room.