V. life is very unfair

"That's actually really cool!" Emma exclaims. Peter's cheeks blush slightly. He wasn't used to people finding his interests cool. He looked at Emma's parchment trying to figure out what she needed to add. 

"Okay, so all you need to add is the meaning behind the flowers and then write an essay about your favorite one. You surprisingly got a fairly easy topic" He explained. Emma nodded. She began packing her stuff up. 

"So, are we going to talk about it?" Peter asked. Emma furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Talk about what?" She asks. 

"You talking to Regulus Black" Peter specifies. Emma bites her lower lip. 

"We were just discussing a book" She shrugs. "No harm done"

"Okay. I won't say anything" Peter nods along before bidding her goodbye. 

Emma takes a deep breath. She didn't exactly lie to Peter. They started out talking about a book, then they got to the topic of the Halloween dance and if she had a date. And then a very unwanted feeling spread throughout Emma's chest and she was already feeling terrible about it. 

She didn't have feelings for Regulus. But, she would be lying if she said she wasn't attracted to him. Could you blame her though? He was gorgeous. His eyes were entrancing. That was the only trait that he had differently than Sirius. His eyes had a dark blue ring on the outside and it was like green and blue watercolor around a muddy green centering his pupil. 

Emma, stop thinking about his eyes. She mentally snapped at herself. 

-

-

Emma walked sluggishly into the great hall. As punishment for being late to her class, Mcgonagall was forcing her to sit at the Hufflepuff table. It was a punishment worse than death. Like she actually wanted to die. 

She threw a longing glance at her brother and her friends and walked over to the Hufflepuff table. She sat down at a part of the table that was mostly empty. Her head hanging as she picked at her food. 

A girl sat in front of her causing Emma to look at her. She wore a bright smile that made Emma smile back at her. 

"Hello, I'm Avery!" She cheerily said and stuck out her hand. 

"Emma" She smiled back at her and shook her hand. This girl had an American accent.

"I'm new. Just transferred from Ilvermorny! I was wondering if you would want to be my friend. People are kind of singling me out because of my accent" She speaks at lightning speed. Emma's smile stretches. 

"You want to be my friend?" Avery could hear the hope in her voice and smiled even wider. 

"Of course!" She exclaims. Emma laughs. 

"I would love to be your friend" She agrees. Avery squeals and kicks her legs excitedly. 

"It's settled then. We are officially best friends" Emma nodded and squealed too. 

James watched his little sister with a big smile on his face. He was so proud of her. 

"Who's Em's new friend? She's hot" Sirius said. James rolled his eyes and elbowed him in the side. 

"Don't ruin this for her" He mumbles. 

-

-

"Good morning, Potter" Regulus greeted Emma as he sat down next to her. She smiled at him. 

"Good morning, Black. Are you always so formal?" She asks turning her whole body to face him. Regulus smirked and tried to calm the heat that was making it's way to his cheeks. 

"Do you want me to not be?" He asks looking at her directly in her eyes. Emma bit her lip and stroked her chin like she was contemplating it. 

"My name would be a good start, but honestly you can call me Em too" She shrugs. Regulus nods. 

"You can call me Reg if you want" He says. Emma's eyes widened. 

"Oh! What about Reggie" She asks excitedly. Regulus was only ever called that by Sirius or whenever Barty and Evan were joking around. 

"That's Sirius's nickname for me" He whispers. His gaze shifted to the floor and all expression dropped from his face. Emma mentally cursed. She knew that the brothers were drifting more and more by the day. 

"I'm sorry. I'll stick to Reg" She says while places a comforting hand on his arm. Everyplace that her hand touched burned. A fire ignited inside him and he was suddenly hyper aware of every atom of her that was touching him. 

"I-it's fine" He stuttered out. 

Heat was spreading throughout his body. He never wanted to feel the coolness of air again. He wanted Emma to set his body ablaze, but it would and could never happen. She was a Potter and he was a Black. Something that worked for their brothers, but was so incredibly unrealistic for them. 

Regulus had one thought occupying his thoughts that night. Life is very unfair. 

------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: i really hope you guys are liking this book :)

NEW CHARACTER

Avery Singh