Chapter 4

Space Song by Beach House

* * *

George

"I'm going to go down to the lake," I tell Fred.

"Alright," he nods and goes back to doing his homework.

I walk out of the common room and through the corridors until I reach the tall oak doors. They open and I make my way outside. The cold, mid-September breeze blows around me as I walk towards the Black Lake.

I let out a gasp and Arabella's eyes snap open. She's sprawled in the grass, her hair laid out around her head. I almost stepped on her. But, God, how did the little girl who I grew up with become so beautiful?

"For Godric's sake, you scared me," I put a hand to my heart.

"Sorry," she starts to laugh at my shocked face.

She sits up and runs her hands through her soft brown hair, pulling pieces of grass out of it.

"What the hell are doing out here?" I argue with myself about whether to sit down next to her. I look down at her for a few seconds and decide to sit on the soft grass with her.

"I come out here a lot on weekends," she looks out at the lake and I follow her gaze, "It's beautiful."

We sit in silence as we stare at the dark water. Even in the early sun, it stays as dark as the night sky.

"What are you doing out here?" she breaks the silence and, out of the corner of my eye, I see her turn her body towards me.

I turn my head to look at her, "Same as you. I usually sit over there." I nod to the tall tree behind her.

She nods with a smile and I study her soft features.

"It's really pretty," I don't know if I'm talking about the lake or her face. "The lake is," I clarify, clearing my throat.

I force my eyes off her face and stare at the water instead. I glance back at her quickly. She's staring at me so I do a double take. She still doesn't look away.

"What?" I am filled with butterflies and I try not to blush, hoping she can't tell.

"Nothing," she blinks and pulls her knees into her chest, looking down at her shoes.

I stare at her and try to find something to say.

"Nice jumper," I say and she looks up at me.

"Thanks," she pulls at the sleeves of her big, cream-coloured sweater with a small smile, "It was a gift from Theo."

"Well, he has good taste," I smirk and she smiles at me.

"I'll tell him you said that," she starts to giggle and I'm filled with butterflies again. My smile grows.

She stops laughing and we go silent, the wind blowing around us. I glance at her a few times as she stares at her shoes again.

"You can leave now," she jokes and I smirk.

"Aw, no! I haven't made you fall in love with me!" I say dramatically.

"George," she starts laughing again.

"Fine, go back to sleeping in the grass," I roll my eyes, standing up.

"Stop it," she giggles, "I wasn't sleeping. And I think I'm going to go get some lunch."

I don't want to leave and I don't want her to leave.

"I'll go with you," I say.

I offer her my hand and she takes it. A kind of electricity goes through me as I pull her up to her feet.