Chapter Three: "Arachnophobia"

Beginne am Anfang

And the only door in this strange area that seems to be open is on... the platform to the right. Okay, Lorelei... You can do this.

Pressing the button to move the pathway to the right, I make my way to the aforementioned platform, each step I take illuminating the lights on either side of me until I reach my destination. According to the sign that just lit up, this place I'm about to enter is the Comms Sector. And upon entry, I'm immediately greeted with an eerie message written on the wall.

'The spider is real.'

If this was just the beginning of my journey, I probably would've just dismissed the words without thinking too much about it, but after what I've been through today, I don't think there's anything I could possibly dismiss anymore. Nowhere in these walls does anything seem normal. Not anymore.

I hurry up the stairs to get to the pink door above, and when I turn around, I see another message written on the wall: 'The spider is real and it's coming.' Oh, come on. What spider is after me anyway? I've already dealt with a bloodthirsty bird and a mean green killing machine, what else could possibly want to—

To...

That's when I see it. There, peeking in through the doorway, is a massive blue spider... with long limbs, a large mouth filled with razor sharp teeth, and three eyes that are just staring straight at me. I guess my gut feeling wasn't wrong; there's definitely a monster here, and it's obviously after me.

Yet as soon as I make direct eye contact, it cowers behind the door, seemingly afraid that its presence might scare me away. A pang of sympathy courses through my body instantly, but the fact remains that it's likely trying to kill me. I can't afford to waste any time on a creature like this, so I decide to ignore it and activate the things necessary to unlock the door.

As soon as the doors slide open, I step inside, letting out a sigh of relief once I'm safely inside the room. I hope that spider guy still isn't out there lurking, I really don't want to deal with him right now. My gaze wanders the room around me, and I realize that this must be some kind of office, judging by the cubicles lining the right side of the space.

A jingle rings out through the air, causing me to snap my head around and look up at the wall in front of me. I find a speaker mounted on the wall, and sure enough, a voice begins speaking. "Hey! You there! I... I can see you on the cameras!" A voice, presumably male, calls out. So I guess I'm not the only one trapped in this place...? Good to know.

"I am so happy to see you, and I need your help with something..." His voice trails off slightly as he pauses, clearly nervous. "Wait, can you even hear me? Uh... Hellooo?" Yes, I can hear you, you idiot! "Listen, if you can hear what I'm saying, wave to a camera or... something." The last part of his sentence ends in a mumble.

I raise an eyebrow skeptically, but I decide to just roll with it for the time being, walking over to a nearby camera. Letting out a sigh, I raise a hand and wave it gently. "There, can you see me now?" I ask in a bored tone. "Yes! Oh, thank god... I'm so glad you're here. I thought this was the end..." The guy responds, sounding somewhat relieved.

"So, uh..." I say hesitantly. "What do you need help with?" I ask, curiosity growing within me. The guy takes a deep breath before replying. "I was looking around and walked into the security room, then the door closed behind me and I've been... stuck inside ever since." He explains with a hint of frustration lacing his voice.

I let out a slight chuckle. "You weren't expecting that, were you?" I respond. "No... But, uh... If you could help me get out, it would be a big help." He says hurriedly. "The door needs a light blue keycard to open, but... I don't have it. I know why you're here, and I can help you, but you've got to get me out of here." He adds, practically begging.