026: god might not get it but i do

Start from the beginning

Maggie told them what to do. It was simple; make as much noise as you could.

"Come on! Come on here!" Rio called. They hurried down the path ways, banging pots together or running the spoons along the fencing. Walkers growled and snarled as they leant against the fence, pressing themselves to try and get in.

Maggie ran further down, telling the boys that they had to lead the walkers away from the car that was bounding across the field.

Rio ran after her, dragging the spoon over the railings. He screamed at the walkers, grabbing their attention as Michonne and Glenn jumped out of the car, placing a strip of wood covered in barbed wire along the floor. The three kept going until Glenn and Michonne had put down every plank of wood. They hurried back into the car where Daryl drove them away.

Maggie let out a sigh of relief and started walking back. She didn't bang pots together this time, she just walked on up, ignoring the walkers who pried their fleshy fingers at her.

Rio fell into step beside Carl, knocking on his riot gear.

"What's this for?" He asked, wondering about his armor. "They won't get through the fences. You're okay."

"It's just in case." Carl shrugged back. They jogged the rest of the way, reaching everyone at the yard. Daryl and Rick were busy praising Michonne's idea of the barbed wire trap.

They headed back inside, Daryl taking off when he couldn't find his brother and Glenn setting out to the yard. Beth found Rio, coming and sitting down beside him.

"Hey," She said, voice wobbling slightly. She was scared, he could see that much on her face:

"Are you okay?" Rio replied, hoping she'd come clean and say what she needed to say.

Instead Beth nodded her head. She fidgeted with her hands before turning to the boy. "You a Christian?" She asked.

"I was."

"You're not anymore?" The girl looked to him for an answer.

"I don't know." He replied honestly, brow furrowing as he thought. "I haven't really had time to think about it."

Beth hummed in acknowledgment, asking for him to continue. "You can think about it now, if you want."

"I believe in God." He said finally, "And Jesus, and Heaven, or I'd like to. It... it's hard."

Beth placed a shaky hand atop of his. "We've made it this far, maybe God had something to do with that."

He smiled back at the girl before his face dropped. "I think I'm gonna go to hell." He breathed out. "I don't know if He would understand what we've had to do. 'Thou shalt not kill' and that."

"An eye for an eye." Beth said in response, hoping to comfort him, even if it was only a bit.

"What?"

"An eye for an eye." She repeated more confidently this time.

"That doesn't work," Rio joked back half-heartedly. "That means I only kill those that kill my friends. I don't only do that."

"Do you like killing?"

"No." Rio replied quickly, shaking his head as he spoke.

"Then I think God might understand." She smiled at him, squeezing his hand lightly. "My daddy, he's, uh, he's gonna say a prayer for us if you wanna come along. That's why I was asking."

"Yeah, thanks." Rio grinned.

Beth pulled him out of his seat, dragging him over to Maggie and Hershel. Hershel held the bible in one hand, flipping to a verse as Maggie clasped onto his other.