025: war at the doorstep

Start from the beginning

"It doesn't matter—."

"I'm your brother. You said so yourself. I have a right to know what's going on." The boy interrupted. He turned to face Glenn properly now, looking in his eye to make sure he was being honest.

"I—." He stammered. "If I don't do something, who will? Daryl wasn't here and Rick couldn't lead. I had to step up."

"Well, step back down!" Rio argued, his tone startling them both. "They're both back now, you can just be... you."

"But is that better for the group?" Glenn tried to argue.

"Yes. We need Glenn-Glenn back."

"Glenn-Glenn?"

"Uh-huh." He nodded. "You keep us together."

"Well, thanks Rio-Rio. I'll keep that in mind."

"See what I mean? You're being such an ass." Rio laughed. Glenn pulled him into a side hug, slinging his arm over the boy's shoulder.

"I'm not doing it on purpose, promise."

***

They walked back in later, smiles dropping as they entered the cell block. Guns were slung over the table again, Merle stood around them taking his pick.

He dropped his rucksack to the table whilst taking another look at the array of weapons. Maggie looked up at them pleadingly, having already tried to talk him out of it.

"Hey." Glenn began. "You're not going." He slammed the door behind him, grabbing the attention of the oldest Dixon brother.

"I don't need permission." He snarled, the guns clattering and clanging as he sorted through them.

"I can't let you."

"You can't stop me." Merle smirked.

"If you're gonna live here with us, it's gonna be on our terms." Maggie said.

Merle turned away, ignoring her as he picked his rucksack up, slinging it over his shoulder.

"If Michonne can do it, why can't you?"

"'Cause it's my brother out there, that's why." He yelled. "What's the matter with y'all?" Merle jogged up the stairs to Glenn, stopping beside the door.

"I'm not gonna let you put them in danger."

"Nut up already, boy." He grumbled. "This guy cops a feel of your woman and you pussy out like this? Get out of my way."

"No." Glenn stood his ground, lip trembling.

"Get out of my way!" Merle yelled, pushing him aside. Rio pulled his flip-knife out of his pocket, holding it up as he stood before the door.

The two kept tousling and shouting, each trying to get their own way. They tumbled down the stairs, Merle pinning Glenn to the floor.

Rio ran down, knife still pointed at the man.

"Get off of him." He yelled. "Now!"

Merle ignored him, grabbing at Glenn's face, holding his bladed hand over it. Rio kicked Merle in the side and he turned to him.

Maggie grabbed him in a headlock as Michonne held up his arm, her other arm grabbing Rio by the shirt, pushing him back. A gun shot rang out as the five fought, startling them all.

Glenn pushed Merle's hand away as he was distracted, looking across the room to Beth, standing with a pistol in her hand, aimed at the ceiling.

"Let me go! Let me go!" Merle started again after the silence that followed the shot. He pushed everyone away, standing up before them all.