25

Armando Dominguez

Armando Dominguez

The time is now here. It was time for my graduation. I am the first Dominguez in my family to get a high school diploma. And by the grace of my boyfriend, my dad was able to get a temporary leave and be able to see his son graduate.

The day my dad came out from the prison was one of the happiest days of my life. Everyone waited for him outside the gates. My dad walked out the gates, escorted by a guard. Before we left, we were told that he needs to be watched carefully, and that any slip up will result in an extension of his sentence.

The moment dad saw Rosita, he broke down in sobs and just hugged her close. Rosita knew who our dad was from the photos and stories we shared. Now, she can finally see the man who named her after his mother.

Dad seemed to be pleased with the state of the house. He admired the cleanliness and lack of mess, except for Rosita's art supplies on the couch. He lightly cried when he saw the portrait of his mother hanging on the wall.

Three days passed by and now, it was time for graduation. I woke up much later in the day, at around 12 in the afternoon. I then spent an hour showering and another hour getting my gown ready.

My cap was painted by Rosita. It's a bit of a mess, but it means so much more than just splatters of colors. It's her art. Dad could not stop hugging me, to the point where I panicked that he was going to hug me to death. Meanwhile Javi still had a stoic expression on his face, but there was a small smile.

As we approached the school, I left towards the auditorium while my family left for the stadium. While inside, the graduating class was told about what to do. I couldn't see Brian, but he assured me that he was there.

'Pomp and Circumstance' was playing on the speakers as we all lined up and took our seats. I looked around and saw my family on the bleachers. I waved at them but my tassel poked my eye.

At my seat, I scoured around and saw Brian in the front row. While the rest of us had blue caps and gowns, the top 20 students had white caps and gowns. And Brian was adorned with honor cords and honor stoles, one of them being for a future USC student.

The ceremony went off. As I walked across the stage, I turned to Brian who was clapping the loudest. I could hear Rosita's gladiator-like scream from the peanut gallery. Ahead of me was the principal, vice-principal, district official, and counselors.

"Congratulations, Mr. Dominguez." Mr. Carver, my counselor who set this all up said to me. I gave him a tight handshake.

The ceremony ended with the turning of the tassel and throwing out caps in the air. Once done, I searched for my cap and began to look around for Brian. I felt a pair of hands grab me from behind. I turned and saw Bumblebee standing behind me.

"Armando!" He yelled.

"Brian!" I lifted him and spun him around. I kissed him on the lip, not wanting to let him go.