1.14

Bucky pov

"I think I have a cure for y/n."

Whatever he's thinking of in that complex, god mind of his better work. I don't know what to do if it doesn't. "What do you mean?" Steve asks with a puzzled, terrified, and yet somehow hopeful and joyous look on his face.

"My friend Heimdall is all seeing. I asked him to search for a cure, or at least something to help Grace. I don't want another situation like the other day. And he was successful. There is a possible cure at a HYDRA base in Siberia. While the possible cure may reside there, there is also another slight complication."

I know that base he is talking about. That's where Hydra made their death squad.

"I know that base." I say before anyone can talk. "Its where HYDRA made their team of Winter soldiers."

"What do you mean?"

"I stole a serum from Howard Stark when I-" I stutter over my words. Memories come flooding back to me as I relive the moment in my head. " When I uh when I killed him. HYDRA used it to make a team. Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history and that was before the serum."

"Did they all turn out how you did?" Steve questions.

"Worse." I reply. "What did they do?" Thor asks.

"These people they speak 3o languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize. They could take a whole country down in one night, you'd never see them coming."

Before anyone says anything, F.R.I.D.A.Y. announces an emergency team meeting. Steve, Thor and I all walk into the room and see Stark sitting in a corner, Rhodes, Wanda, Natasha, Sam, Vision, and even y/n sit at the table. Secretary Ross stands in front of everyone.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my back swing."  He brings his hand together a motions a back swing. "Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the Army never taught me. Perspective."

No one says anything. My gaze shifts between Sec. Ross and y/n. I don't know what Ross is inching towards, but whatever it is it has to be bad if Tony let y/n out of her cell. "The world owes the Avengers and unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

Almost everyone just stares down at the table, and awkward silence fills the room until Natasha perks up, a slight grin on her face. "And what word would you use Mr. Secretary?"

"How about dangerous?" I notice y/n hasn't said nor looked at anyone this whole time. She continues to sit silently, her gaze not drifting anywhere, but a single point on the wall. I nudge her slightly in her shoulder. "Hey you ok?" I whisper. She doesn't say anything, but nods.

"What would you call a group of  U.S- based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore Sovereign  borders and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who seem, frankly, unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

"Well would you rather have us just ignored all of our missions? Allow the world to get destroyed and us just sit back and watch while the world burns?" I ask. Ross doesn't say anything about my comment and Steve looks at me with a certain look on his face I cant quite describe.

Ross steps to the side and the screen behind him lights up. A video of the battle of New York begins to play. "New York." He states. People scream and run as monsters and smoke fill the sky. Shots are fired. Suffering is endured. While I wasn't at that battle, still under the control HYDRA.

Rhodes looks down, remembering what had happened. His gaze shifts to meet Steve's eyes who remains staring blankly at the screen.

"Washington D.C." A video begins to play showing the events of the downfall of S.H.I.E.L.D. from when I was found by the Avengers. When I tried to kill Steve. That was around the time where y/n was brought into the picture. I wish her begin born was under different circumstances. I'll tell her the story behind her one day, but now is not the time nor place. 

"Sokovia." Videos one of our more recent world threatening event show on the screen. A video shows of a city being lifted into the sky, debris falling down as it rises more and more. A building falls to the ground. I remember that day. It was one of our worst. I notice Tony's face, he only looks up slightly. He's being suspiciously quiet about all of this. Lord knows he always has more than enough to say.

Lastly the screen switches to our most recent event. "Lagos."

A building is set on fire by the man we were after, who Wanda threw into a building, she presumed was empty. Wanda looks down at the table and sighs at the sight of the people who died at her hands. Steve, having noticed Wanda's reaction sighs as well and says, "Okay. That's enough."

Ross nods to his worker, motioning for him to turn the videos off. "For the last four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." I shift my gaze finally to Ross. I haven't looked at him this whole time. His worker hands him a thick book and Ross walks over and places it on the table and slides it towards Wanda who picks it up.

"The Sokovia accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead." He pauses. "They'll operate under the situation of the United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

Awkward silence fills the room. Steve finally speaks up. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me captain, do you know where Banner is right now?" Steve looks up at Ross from his staring place on the table.

"If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me this is the middle ground."

Rhodey taps the book with his hands. "So there are contingencies."

"Three days from now the U.N. meets in Vienna to ratify the cords." I look up at Steve as if asking for approval. All he does is look back at Tony, almost asking the same thing.

"Talk it over." Both Ross and his worker exit the room quickly. As if wanting to escape the awkwardness filling the room. But before he can leave Natasha pipes up, trapping him inside once again.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Then you retire."

Natasha lets a slight grin weave up her mouth a nodding slightly before everyone bids a silent goodbye to the Secretary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Thanks for reading another chapter! I'm starting to incorporate the movies into this story although I did have to slightly modify it for the sake of this story. And the fact that this story is my first and already has 72 views is crazy to me! Thank you for taking your time to read my story! Once again, Enjoy!