Chapter 8

Penelope and Leah both looked at me and saw the horrified look on my face. I tried to manage a smile to assure them I’m okay, but there was no such luck. Tears pooled in my eyes and I ducked under my covers and started to sob. Now I could officially say my life sucked.

            “What’s wrong?” Leah was first to speak, because Penelope knew exactly why I was crying. Leah ripped the covers off of my face and looked at me, clutching my stomach and sobbing into the warm cloth material. Leah rubbed my back supportively. “Are you sick? I usually cry when I’m sick, too. It really doesn’t feel the best, you know?”

            I nodded. No f-ing way was I going to tell my best friend on the first night I’ve seen her in months that I was pregnant. It’d ruin our whole night! The best option was just to tell her I was on my period and be done with it (though, that’s not much better).

            “I’m on my period; actually, today is my last day. I’m just emotional, ignore it. Please, ignore it.” I managed a fake smile and sat up, and Penelope was giving me the “look”.

            We pressed play on Grown Ups and began to watch. It was hilarious, but I was only able to manage a quick giggle every now and then. My stomach was a mess and so was my brain. I had to get a pregnancy test, just to be sure. I stood up and smiled at the girls. “Hey, guys, I’m going to go to the store and get some more snacks. Requests?”

            Penelope didn’t look one bit worried anymore and chimed, “Get some nacho cheese Doritos!”

            “Oh, and some soda! You know, I’ll pay you back for everything, too. Just get a ton of snacks.” Leah smiled. Girls night was always filled with junk food, although our metabolism really kicked in, so none of were the size of this Opera House.

            I shut the door behind me and walked down the hall, getting quicker and quicker with each step. The doors revealed the cold, Paris air. Snow was blanketing the streets, making them look like they had a fluffy white sheet on top of them. It really did look amazingly beautiful, with the gaslights illuminating the snow. I smiled, and not a fake smile this time.

            I hopped in my car and went in the direction of the Kwik Trip. As soon as I was there, I ran in, grabbed a few snacks, and then a pregnancy test. Before I knew it, I was back on the route to the Opera House.

            “She’s ba-ack!” Penelope screamed as I opened the door, careful to put the pregnancy test in my purse so that nobody saw.

            Leah grabbed the bag full of snacks from me and went into the kitchen to fix them up. “Ryan came to the door while you were gone,” she called from the kitchen.

            “Really,” I said, more of talking to myself than to Penelope. I said it like I knew he was going to. Of course he would, he’s such a worrier. I remembered the test in my purse and announced, “I have to use the bathroom.”

            I walked into the bathroom and splashed some water on my face, seeing how tired I looked. Yeah, I really needed to fall asleep after this. Crap, I can’t do that to Leah. I should try to stay up really late so I can be with Leah every chance I get.