Chapter Seven - Year Four

---'๑'---

---'๑'---

ESME HAD SPENT THE NEXT FEW DAYS IN HER ROOM. Daphne thought she was overreacting but kept her lips shut.

The spider incident had reminded Esme of the fact she'd never meet her parents, how she'd never have a normal life. How she'd likely never grow up and have a family of her own because of Voldemort. She knew that he'd be the death of her and Harry one day, just like he was to their parents.

Esme had found herself sat by the lake that evening, having skipped dinner as she didn't feel like conversing. She thought she should at least start to leave her room. Darkness was drawing nearer and so was curfew but she didn't mind.

She was too engrossed in her own thoughts about Voldemort and her parents that she didn't even realise someone had sat beside her.

"You do realise the sun is setting, right?"

Esme's head turned, beside her was Malfoy.

"What do you want, Malfoy? Here to taunt me about my dead parents, how the spider dropped dead just like them?" She scoffed and moved away from him.

"No." He responded, surprising the girl. "I just like sunsets."

Esme raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. The two of them sat in silence and simply watched the sunset together.

"You've been hidden away for days. School isn't the same when I can't make fun of you." Malfoy said, his head turning to face the girl.

He scanned her face, he only just noticed how much he loved how her hair flowed past her shoulders and rested above her lower back. He loved how her emerald green eyes sparkled from the dimming sunlight and freckles dawned her face.

"Oh shove it." Esme laughed. "Why aren't you being a total asshole right now? This is you right, not someone drinking a polyjuice potion?" She questioned, facing the blonde boy who tried to look away so she didn't catch him staring.

"Oh shut up, Potter. I may hate you but I'm not a monster. I'm not going to bully you when you're feeling low." Malfoy scoffed. "But this stays between me and you."

"Why? Can't have the whole world knowing Draco Malfoy is actually a big softie?" Esme teased.

"I will hex you into oblivion, Potter." Malfoy spat, standing up. "I regret joining you out here already."

"Oh, sure." Esme rolled her eyes.

"You should head back soon. Don't want you losing house points for Slytherin."