Chapter 2

I woke up, startled by the banging of metal on metal. I sat up quickly, but unintentionally hit my head on the board from the bunk above me, "Two minutes, in the pit!" a man with black hair and dark skin yelled at us as I rub my fore head.

I threw on my clothes, not caring who was watching. Before I left I tucked my book neatly under my mattress, then ran to catch up with the others. Of the eighteen other transfers, I was the only one from Eurdite. The rest were obviously from Candor, seeing no other factions hardly ever choose Dauntless. The other transfers were grouped together, creating a wall of backs, facing away from me. We finally arrived at the Pit.

We grouped around a trainer. It was the black haired man from two minutes ago. His name was Max, and he was explaining how we were going to be ranked and what tasks we were going to be required to complete. A half of initiation was devoted to our physical abilities and the other half was mostly mental and emotional.

We were later released to watch a technique lesson. We surrounded an open ring. At first I didn't pay any attention to what was going on, and ended up staring at the tip of my black combat boots.

"I'm Eric, and I'll be teaching you the techniques of a fight," a familiar voice boomed. I looked up. It was him, the one who quoted my book. I was slightly surprised, as I stared in shock. He looked at me, our eyes locking, and then he winked.

I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks so I quickly focused on something else.

Eric taught us several types of punches and blocks. We were later released to practice blocking with a partner. I was paired with a girl named Ann. She was a Candor transfer; she had a twin sister named Abigail who was slightly shorter than herself. They shared the same solid cheekbones, but Ann's eyes were blue, while Abigail's eyes were a dark brown.

We spent two hours hitting each other's forearms together. I was so focused, that I hardly noticed Eric's brooding presence orbiting us; until I could feel Ann becoming more tense and anxious. If anything it wasn't Eric's presence that was bothering me, it was Ann's.

"Ann, you keep missing! You need to focus," I snapped.

"Sorry! I'm just nervous!" she snapped back, while wiping her sweaty palms on her pants. She dropped her hands to her sides, defeated, "It's been two hours," she whined.

I sighed, I didn't want to admit it but I was tired as well. I wiped my forehead on my sleeve.

Suddenly, there was a lot of yelling at the other side of the pit. Two of the Candor transfers where snapping at each other. Max broke them up, clearly unhappy.

"If they want to fight, let them fight," Eric said to Max, irritated.

"No one's even close to that point, Eric," Max retorted. At this point everyone was focused on the debacle at the end of the Pit, rather than the task at hand.

Eric smirked at Max, "We'll see then?" He grabbed the instigator by the collar of his shirt and dragged him over to the ring. They made their way over to the ring, each step of theirs echoing through the air as the room fell completely silent. Eric shoved the initiate into the boxed ring.

Then he stopped, scratching his chin while looking at me, "Rose, in the ring," his voice was deadly quiet, losing all of its irritation from before.

I was stuck in my steps, until Ann finally pushed me forward. I was met with nearly thirty pairs of eyes. The other initiates took a step back, making a path for me.