Chapter 21

Warning: physical (domestic I think?)/verbal abuse, emotional manipulation, threats of abandonment, victim blaming

It was a little awkward being in the same space as Splendid again.

Splendont explored his home. It was very spacious. A two-story house with a large acre of land to keep a decent space away from neighbors scattered around. There were four large bedrooms with four bathrooms, a big kitchen and dining room, a big office downstairs, a living room that could house a nuclear family, and a basement. Splendont wanted to know why he had all of this room, but he was too much of a coward to ask.

They danced around each other for days as he occupied the second biggest room in Splendid's home. It was really clean. Neat. Devoid of warmth, like Splendid really didn't spend too much time here.

"Are you hungry?"

"I could eat."

He walked to the dining room and sat down. He glanced over to see Splendid going into the kitchen, pulling out different foods and items. Away from him, Splendont could see how much more relaxed Splendid was when they had space between them.

Splendont held back the sigh in his throat, not wanting to ruffle any of Splendid's feathers. Splendid used to cook for them while they bounced from place to place. His brother was a shitty cook. Splendont swallowed the bile in his throat at the reminder of his "poison food."

He would eat whatever Splendid made though. If swallowing down whatever abomination he made would make Splendid happy, he would suck it up. He could tell his brother was uncomfortable being around him. After everything that happened, he hated that he couldn't say he was surprised about this. Even though Splendid had invited him to stay, he literally kept a ten foot distance between them and hardly looked at him. They weren't able to talk to each other in the slightest except for awkward small talk when Splendid left for his civilian job.

(It didn't help the ache in his chest at the reminder that this was what he deserved for what he had done.
He wanted to forget it ever happened in the first place.)

It was the first time Splendid offered to make him something since he's been crashing here, so he would swallow the food and his pride down. If it meant they could eat together like they used to, he would do anything to show Splendid he was trying to be sensitive and understanding like his brother always wanted him to be.

Splendont pulled out his phone and scrolled through his new social media accounts to occupy his time while Splendid busied himself in the kitchen. He changed his number and threw away his old phone a day or so after he got to town. Someone had been blowing up his phone.

(It was him. Splendont didn't think he'd be so frantic to reach him. They weren't that close.
Were they close?)

He was so lost stalking some of the idiots he had deals with that when the smell of roasted chicken hit his nose, Splendont blinked and turned his head, curious as something let out a pleasant jingle. Splendid came out, going back and forth to set out dishes that looked like they were from a five-star restaurant.

Splendont's tail twitched rapidly as he set his phone down to look at what Splendid had brought out, "There's no way you made this that fast."

Splendid set a glass of water beside him before taking a seat across from him, a nervous smile on his face, "Ah, I had been marinating the chicken since yesterday actually. It's a small chicken anyways, so it didn't take that long to bake. Um, help yourself."

Splendont hummed at this, "You cut it for me then."

He grabbed his plate and held it out towards Splendid, looking at him expectantly. Splendid blinked at this, hesitating before nodding and cutting up the chicken. He split it in half, setting it on his plate. Without asking him to, Splendid piled up the baked vegetables, mashed potatoes, and set a fluffy bun on top of the potatoes, just out of reach of the juice that came from the chicken.