"Sunstar's about to send the battle patrol. Featherwhisker and I are going to go with them, and you're going to stay here with some other warriors to protect the camp and tend to any wounded that end up back here."

Mosspaw nodded and got up to stretch. Nerves pricked at her paws. She was relieved she didn't have to witness the action. The only other battle she had been alive for was Sunningrocks, and she was just a kit then. She shuddered at the memory of her and her littermate's patrol.

She looked at the herbs available to her. Featherwhisker had already packed most of them into leaves to take to the site of the battle.

Cobwebs for bleeding, marigold and comfrey to stop infection, poppy seed for pain, thyme for shock...

Mosspaw muttered the names of the herbs in front of her and their uses under her breath.

"Mosspaw?"

She turned to see Featherwhisker and Spottedpaw by the den entrance, each holding a leaf wrap of herbs.

"It's time. May StarClan light your path, always," Spottedpaw mewed.

Mosspaw dipped her head. "May StarClan light your path."

Time seemed to stand still as the battle raged on. Mosspaw sat outside the medicine den, eyes glued to the entrance, anxiously waiting for them to return. Goldenflower, Robinwing, and Sparrowpelt guarded the entrance to the camp. The heat of Greenleaf blasted at her fur with every breeze.

Whitestorm, Oakheart, Bluefur, Mistyfoot, and Stonefur were all chosen for the battle patrol, along with others. Mosspaw was terrified for her family. Every passing heartbeat deepened her worries.

What would I do if something happened to them?

She waited from sunrise to sunhigh for the patrol to return. Just as she was about to return to the den to wait, two cats burst into the clearing.

"Mosspaw! I need cobwebs!" Spottedpaw yowled through a mouthful of fur. Mosspaw's paws locked in place at the sight of the cat she was dragging.

"Bluefur?" she whispered in shock.

"I need cobwebs! Now!" Spottedpaw hissed.

Adrenaline rushing through her veins, Mosspaw darted into the medicine clearing and wrapped a claw around a cluster of cobwebs. Spottedpaw placed Bluefur in the center of the clearing,

"She's bleeding out of her stomach," Spottedpaw panted, rushing to grab herbs. "Put as many cobwebs as you can into her wound."

Mosspaw stared at her bloody mother. She was unconscious and breathing shallowly. She closed her eyes and pressed cobwebs into her stomach, feeling hot blood pooling around her trembling paws. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes.

Bluefur had a long, deep gash stretching from her hind leg to the center of her chest. Spottedpaw had already used what looked like nearly all the cobweb they had on it.

"Please, Bluefur," she whispered. "I need you. You can't die."

Please, StarClan, don't take her, she prayed.

Spottedpaw applied chewed up marigold into her wound." There's nothing more we can do," she sighed. "She's in StarClan's paws now."

Mosspaw laid next to her mother, pressing her muzzle into Bluefur's cheek.

"There's more coming," Spottedpaw muttered. Mosspaw turned her head to face the entrance of the clearing. More warriors were trickling in, though their wounds weren't nearly as severe. Relief washed over her, but it was dulled by grief over her mother.