Chapter Five: Lord Daeron Targaryen

Start from the beginning

Arthur had wrote to their sister discussing what was happening, fearing what would happen should the truth come out when war broke out across the realm. 

"You kept it secret?" Robb noted knowing that there would have many that would have sold out Ned Stark's actions especially with the rumours surrounding what had happened to the Lady Ashara. 

Many would have wanted to curry favour with the new King, Robert had made his feelings on Targaryens more than clear in the past. 

"Aye. Saw no reason to upset the peace," Lord Dayne said shrugging his shoulders, he could still hear his dear sister's pleas to not tell Robert about the boy; her begging him that only more death would come if he said anything. 

Noble Ned Stark had dropped off Arthur's sword only days earlier, an apology on his lips as he avoided looking to Ashara as he held the baby in his arms that by all rights should have been the new King of the Seven Kingdoms. 

His grandfather, father and older half-brother all slaughtered in the rebellion that had seen many lose their lives and a royal wedding taking place not long after. 

Lord Dayne would say no more on the matter, he nodded to the three kings before stepping down from the stand before leaving the room filled with whispers. 

Many eager to look at Daeron Targaryen, the man seated beside the Queen in the North while the testimonies had been taking place; the young princes absent from the boring talks that were taking place. 

"Daeron," Stannis called after a moment, his eyes focusing on the man who looked uncomfortable about all of this; the man that everyone was talking about, the man that doubted he would ever get used to his own name. 

Jon moved from his seat, standing and bringing the hall to silence as he moved to stand before the three dais unable to meet the eyes of the Dornish King. 

Dorian had been silent through these proceedings, some sort of deal having been worked out between him and Stannis in private; one that would no doubt benefit the Martells with everything going on. 

Jon kneeled before the throne, his eyes lowering as he readied himself for what came next; there was no going back now, he doubted that he would ever truly go back to the North again after this. 

"I pledge myself and those of my line to House Baratheon and relinquish any claim that myself or my descendants might have for the throne," Jon said making sure that his voice was clear, he would do whatever it took to keep the peace within the realm. 

It was bad enough that they had to deal with the white walkers, this wasn't the time for a succession crisis to the throne not when the dead were coming for them. 

"I, Stannis of the House Baratheon, King of the South, Protector of the Realm... recognise Lord Daeron Targaryen as the heir to House Targaryen and grant him the title and the ancestral lands of Dragonstone," Stannis stating from his throne, a crown upon his head as he granted what he had promised upon the former Stark bastard. 

"I am most grateful Your Grace," Jon stated knowing that there was one part of the agreement that he had yet to live up to, he had to find a wife from the ranks of nobles loyal to Stannis; a task that he wasn't overly fond of at this time. 

There had only ever been one woman for him, he doubted that he would forget Ygritte anytime soon; her flaming red hair seemed to haunt him in his sleep these days. 

"I would be honoured to take one of Your Grace's bannerman's daughters for my Lady of Dragonstone," Jon stated with a wary smile, he stood from his position as he tried to ignore the eyes that buried into the back of his head. 

Across the room, Laena Velaryon watched the unfolding scene with great interest from her position beside her younger brother; their uncle having joined them for the tourney. 

Tension filled talks had filled the air around the Velaryon tent with their uncle doing everything to undermine Monterys and Laena; it was clear that their dear uncle was eager to push the orphaned siblings out of the way. 

He talked often about how he would marry Laena to one of their minor cousins, that he would be a better support for his dear nephew and would teach him all about the sea. 

It was clear that their uncle desired the Velaryon titles and lands for himself, Laena's own father had banished him from Driftmark for his power hungry ways and now she could not rid herself of him. 

"I shall wed Daeron," Laena stated without realising it, the words slipping from her mouth as she stepped forward away from Monterys and towards the new Lord of Dragonstone. 

An idea forming in her mind without her permission, one where she could secure her brother in his role as Lord of Driftmark; one where she would make sure that their uncle could no longer control them. 

Jon turned to look at the woman that had spoken, her head held high and her eyes shining with something that he could not quite describe as she moved to stand beside him. 

Behind her, Corwyn Velaryon glowered at the back of his niece's head knowing that he could not allow such a match to happen.