Shadow of a Doubt

Start from the beginning

Midway then set the message to start repeating across all channels with no encryption. He looked up and gave a slight nod as the orbiting fighters than rapidly left the carrier.

Both factions received his radio transmission and sent fleets to home in on his position. Azur Lane intent on detaining and taking him to trial, while the Sakura Empire wanted to see his ship destroyed.

He knew that one option was more preferable, so he sent his fighters towards the Sakura fleet to hinder them. And what better way to hinder the Sakura Empire... then their own tactics?

The twin carriers Zuikaku and Shokaku along battleships Fuso and Yamashiro, and with heavy cruisers Takao, Atago, and Maya. All were steaming towards the location of Midway. They had numerous destroyer girls and even production ships with them.

Zuikaku looked forward with a determined glint in her eyes. She would defeat Midway once and for all, but it felt hallow. Her sister noticed and said "Nee-san? Is something wrong?"

Zuikaku nodded and said "Hai. It's about Midway."

Takao looked up slightly and asked "What's wrong? We have our orders to kill him." Zuikaku looked at her and said, "It's exactly that. I get he's an enemy and he attacked the Empire, but killing him seems extreme."

"He threatened to destroy our home, Zuikaku. That road has no redemption and no return. He knew what he was doing, and he'll pay for it." Takao stated coldly.

Ayanami still unsure about this conflict looked over and said "Do you think he likes fighting?"

"It certainly seemed that way during our last fight. When he went to some sort of battle frenzy." Shoukaku stated. Ayanami only replied "But he said that only a partial figure was there who he wanted to fight."

Takao nods and says "Hai. It seems like we were not the fight he was wanting, but someone there was. Question is... who..."

Takao then turned over to Zuikaku who was looking at the sky and said "The Kido Butai..."

She then ran towards Zuikaku and shouted "Zuikaku, he wants to fight you!"

She turned around surprised and asked "Me? Why me?" Takao only said "You're part of the Kudo Butai, he wants to fight the entire combined carrier force."

The sounds of engines started littering the air as all the girls looked up. A flight of fighters had made it to them. Takao looked up and shouted "Are those bombers?"

Zuikaku squinted and said "No, they look like fighters. What are fighters doing attacking the fleet?"

Her question was answered as all the aircraft arced towards the fleet and went in a dive. Fuso then shouted "All ships, anti air now!"

AA tracers flew past the diving fighters and flak shells exploded all around them. A few were getting hit but still not pulling out of their dives.

Zuikaku gasped as the lead fighter dove past and crashed into a nearby production destroyer. It's fuel and bombs exploding in a massive display of fire.

The production destroyer finally blew apart from the damage and everyone watched in shock. Shoukaku transformed into her rigging to dodge a fighter and shouted "EVERYONE, EVADE!"

Zuikaku looked around and said "He has no bombers... he must've lost them all in his attack."

2 fighters then crashed into a Siren cruiser, causing more massive explosions. Ayanami then sailed by and said "So he's using his fighters as bombs."

More production ships were being lost with each passing minute, Midway's aircraft being lethal due to 2k lbs bombs. The ships continued to dodge more aircraft until finally the last one was shot down.