⁰⁴. ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵗʳⁱⁿᵍˢ ᵀʰᵃᵗ ᴮⁱⁿᵈ ᵁˢ

Start from the beginning

Carter was silent in his offering of the cigarette. Allowing the woman to take it and stand up a bit straighter. As she inhaled, he saw the way her fingers slightly trembled–how her breaths came stuttered with the faint chatter of her teeth–even her shoulders faintly bouncing–so, he sighed, shrugging off his suit jacket and quickly placing it around her shoulders–earning a smile in thanks before leaning against the railing again.

Exhaling a cloud of smoke, Nova swallowed the bitter taste and handed the cigarette back to the man. Pulling the edges of the jacket closer around her, seeking its warmth further. "You know, neither Natasha nor I could've stopped you from seeing your sister," she pointed out, staring at the man cautiously. "If it were me or Nat in your shoes and the person we wanted to see in Drew's, we would've been bolting to just hear their voice again. See them smile."

"But the risk is far greater with doing so. I listened to your warnings and weighed them with my desires," he replied, glancing at her. "Maybe if things don't work out here, I might just see her in another universe."

"What? Don't think we can handle the task you placed before us?" Nova quipped, attempting to lighten the grim mood of the conversation.

"Not that." He sighed, tossing the cigarette. "Things can be blown out of proportion. There are more variables at play than any of you realize. And as tonight is telling, Tony doesn't at all seem worried about the implications. Much like the few before him."

Nova scoffed, shaking her head. "You're living your life by past mistakes, Carter. You aren't looking at what's in front of you."

"The variables are everything the team does," he stated resolutely. "The way they talk and the way they act–I need to know if I waste my time here or look for something better." Although he wholeheartedly believed in his statement, he hadn't just slowed down for a bit. Take in the beauty of each universe he's adventure to. But why should he when his mission is far greater than his desires? "I need the outcome more than pointless memories."

"And these things come in time, Carter." She said with it almost being the most obvious answer. "You just have to give it some. These things will come to you. They'll shake you, toss you around. But the outcome will be worth it. Just play it one step at a time. That's what I'm doing with the loss of Cooper."

At that, Carter kept his lips pressed firmly together. A line of mangled thoughts coursed through his mind like a raving current. Unable to create a steady stream of conscious output without finding reasons to shoot down her suggestion. Because if Nova thought it might be a good idea, why not give it a try?

Then Nova let out a snicker, hugging herself. "You know, I'm honestly surprised."

Carter frowned, looking at the girl. "About what?"

"Oh, you know. You saw the enhancements. You didn't look at me like some sort of freak," Nova said with a shrug. "Ever since I got these implants, people I used to know can't look at me without thinking I'm just some sort of cyborg. Like all my mind is one's and zero's with code that resembles what my mind once was."

"And is it?"

The blunt question put Nova on the backfoot for a few moments. Lips parting, ready to defend and reassure the man that she was still the same girl. But after such a life-changing transformation, she always knew things about her wouldn't be the same. The way people saw her, how they danced around certain topics thinking she would be triggered by them. Everyone acted as if she was a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment.

But they were so far from the truth Nova didn't see it relevant to bring them back to reality.

"When I was shot out of the air, my back had been damaged beyond recognition. And from being concussed by the landing, I saw things–people trying to get me. So, I used the self-destruct implant on my heart. Blew it to smithereens." She smiled, shaking her head. "Got to see Jack for a few minutes. I really thought I finally got peace. But what felt like 5 minutes turned out to be a month. Next thing I know, I'm woken up by the sound of my mother's humming and I'm on an operating table with my Dad and Bruce."