Chapter 38

Much like the other times they were between islands, Luffy had Vivi and his crew training, adding Chopper into the mix. The little reindeer was extremely excited to get stronger after the concept of Haki had been explained to him, but was worried about everyone getting hurt. Luffy compromised that Chopper would be let off when Nami and Vivi were so that he could treat any of their injuries and be rested for when the boys inevitably came to him with more injuries later on.

Sanji had opted to keep his time travel a secret from the others. Luffy allowed it. So, the blond chef made sure to keep his training slower than before, treating it as a sort of secret review. It was funny to watch how angry Moss Head got when he 'suddenly got ahead' of him. Usopp's reaction wasn't nearly as funny, but he was happiest when the girls praised him. Ah, it was nice to see the lovely Vivi and the beautiful Nami again!

Because he was still sick, Luffy wasn't allowed to actively participate in the training. So, he opted to sit on the figurehead and think to himself. Sometimes, he'd say his thoughts aloud. It was a good way to not let himself get too lost in his head. Besides, he liked talking to Merry, even if she couldn't respond to him.

Speaking of Merry, she'd taken them on a lot of adventures. He was sorry that they didn't take better care of her. Though Luffy had promised himself to take better care of her this time around, that didn't completely quell the guilt he felt. He knew that they'd have to say goodbye to her again at Water Seven, he just hoped that it was with everyone present and under better circumstances. Though, saying goodbye to home - friend and family - was never an easy thing to do.

"Thank you." Vivi said as she stood as close to the young captain as she could.

"For what?" he asked, turning his attention to her.

"For taking me home."

"Don't thank me yet," he turned back to watch the waters and the horizon, "you aren't home yet."

Vivi hummed and followed his gaze. "What made you set out?" she asked, "What made you become a pirate."

Luffy thought for a moment. It wasn't a question he was asked often, but it was one he knew the answer to by heart. "A promise."

"A promise?"

"A few of them, actually."

"Oh?"

"I always knew I wanted to sail, but I didn't really have a reason. Then, I met Shanks," He put a hand on his hat. "I promised him that I'd become the greatest pirate ever, that I'd beat him and his crew with my own. I promised that I'd become King of the Pirates." He paused for a moment with a small, nostalgic, smile, "At first, that was all there was to it. My grandpa wasn't very happy about that when I told him. Then, I met my brothers and the title 'Pirate King' suddenly meant so much more. Me and my brothers wanted to be free. Ace wanted to prove to the world that he was more than just his father's son, and Sabo wanted to break free of the cage he was born in and write a book about his adventures. The feeling I got when they told me made me want to protect their dreams, to help them become reality. So, my dream of being the Pirate King became more than just sailing the seas to beat Shanks. It became my want to help my brothers achieve the freedom to do what they want. Then, after I set out and learned the dreams of my friends, I wanted to protect their dreams, too. Now, the title of 'Pirate King' means being the freest person in the world." The smile had turned into something just short of a grin at some point, and Vivi found herself struggling to look away. "When I'm the Pirate King, I'll be free of anything holding me back from helping my brothers, my friends, and my family. There'll be nothing standing in my way." He locked eyes with the princess. "To be the Pirate King is to be Free."

Vivi couldn't tear her eyes away until Luffy looked away first. 'To be Pirate King is to be Free?'

"What's your dream?"