Again, Aaron winces, and he looks around the room as if scared that someone might be around.

"Are you alone?", I ask him.

"Yes. My brother went back to his university yesterday, so it's just me. I'm actually not supposed to be talking to you right now, so I don't want my parents to... walk in on us."

A feeling of dread seizes my heart. "Aaron, are you banned from seeing me?"

I watch his expression change while I nervously twist the skull ring round my finger.

"Not exactly", he says, carefully. "They wanted to, but I had to convince them since... after all, without you, I won't be able to get Alicia back."

"They want to meet you. Tomorrow. They want to see if you meet their... criteria."

My heart stops. Then it starts to beat again like crazy.

"Your parents want to meet me"

"Yes"

"Tomorrow"

He nods.

"For an interview", I continue, making sure that I have all the facts straight.

"Not exactly an interview", he says. The screen goes blurry for a bit as he moves towards a chair and sits down. Once the camera is back on his face he continues.

"It's more of a dinner where they'll put you through a series of tests. I don't know what it'll be about, nor what they'll ask, but I want you to promise me something."

His dark eyes shine behind his glasses, and I nod knowing that in this moment I would promise him anything.

"When you meet my parents, don't pretend to be what you are not. I want them to know the girl I lo-", he stutters "- the girl that you really are.", he finishes.

I hesitate. For a moment, I thought that he wanted to say 'the girl I love', but that is impossible.

He loves Alicia, I remind myself.

"Anyway, I have to go now, but where are you anyway?", he asks, and I give a small laugh.

"I'm still at school. I'm still at school in my car. Don't ask", I say, as he begins to open his mouth.

"Ok, I won't", he says. "Anyway, I have homework to do, and so do you, so you need to get home ok?"

"Yes, boss", I say mockingly and he smiles.

"Drive safely ok?"

I feel my cheeks warm. "I will. Goodnight Rulebook."

"Goodnight Kayla."

The call disconnects, leaving me with a stupid grin on my face. I put my phone in my pocket and start the engine of my car. It is dark now so I turn on my headlights. I'm not scared – I often drive in the night when I come from night parties – but I drive carefully anyway, thinking of Aaron's words all the way.
And how I am not going to keep my promise.

🏈🏈🏈

"OMG you're going to meet his parents?!", Steph shrieks.

After I got home yesterday, I came to the conclusion that in order to get out of trouble, I was going to need to be the most perfect girl ever.

Obviously, I spent the whole night thinking about it, and when I woke up this morning, I decided to ask the two people I knew would be able to help me – Steph and Quinn.

I hadn't been able to talk to them all day since we didn't have any of the same classes. However, at lunch we were able to sit at the same table.

Steph was full of chatter while Quinn was silent, glancing fearfully at the side of the cafeteria where Marcus sat.

I need to ask her about him. They have so much beef and she's my friend so I need to know.

"Well", I say in answer to Steph's question, "yes he's parents invited me for a dinner where they plan to investigate me."

"Why?", Quinn asks, in her quiet voice.

I can't tell them about the kiss last night. Not because I want to keep secrets, but because I don't even understand what happened.

"I don't know why his parents want to meet me", I say. "But I want to be seen as the perfect girlfriend."

Steph and Quinn nod, and I smile, glad that I have such good friends.

"Firstly Quinn, what can you tell me about Aaron's parents?"

Quinn shrugs. "Not much really. They're very strict. His Dad is a doctor and his Mom is a lawyer so naturally, they want him to follow in their footsteps. Aaron and I don't really know each other that well. He hangs around our house sometimes, but I only got to really know him when I started this school a year ago."

"You started this school a year ago?", Steph asks, voicing out my thoughts. "No wonder we didn't ever see you before."

"Yes", Quinn says, looking a bit uncomfortable now. "I came here to be...closer to Keon", she says, stuttering a little, her eyes now firmly fixed on the table.

This is some new information. Yes, I have never seen Quinn around, but I assumed that it was because she was just quiet. I file this information away in my brain to ask her on a further date.

"Anyway", Steph says, "if you want to impress Aaron's parents, I have the perfect hints for you."

I give a smile. Steph knows a lot about making herself look presentable, though you wouldn't really be able to tell. She has a  strict dad who she tries to get his atention in anyway posible, hence the tattoos and bad girl routine. Her dream is to take over his law firm and she is constantly having to balance out her life to make him happy and make herself happy, kind of like living a double life. She is an expert who will help me make Aaron's parents to fall in love with me.

"Aaron's parents are strict right?", I nod, and she gives me a once over, taking in my looks. Tattoos on display, long untidy hair, and my uniform not following the dress code as usual. She shakes her head and I take in her neat appearance.

"You are going to need a makeover", she says. "And some shopping."

I glance over to where Aaron is sitting at the jock table, and I practically choke on my spit seeing Alicia walk over to him.

I watch her lean over him, smiling brightly and eventually, he asks her to sit down beside him. She does, twirling her hair, giving cute little laughs, and I clench my jaw.

This is good, I try to tell myself. Soon, Alicia will take him back, and you can go back to your regular life. You guys have at most two weeks left.

But the words do nothing to soothe the gnawing pain in my heart.

Steph notices my stare and raises an eyebrow at me.

I try to hide my eyes, but from the mysterious smile on her face, I have a feeling that she knows more than what she let on.

A/N: So in the next chapter, she is going to meet Aaron's parents. How do you think it will go?

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts loves 💋💋💋