𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚎

Start from the beginning

"took you long enough. if i ain't know better, i'd say you were tryin' to skip school today," two-bit said, putting the key in the ignition.

"well, i guess you don't know better," she mumbled, rolling her eyes at his insinuation.

he looked over at her. "what was that?"

"i said you're wrong. i'm just not a morning person."

he rolled down the window on the passenger side. "that's funny, i coulda swore i saw you awake before me nearly every day durin' the summer," he said, leaning over her to adjust the mirror. "can you straighten that out for me, ellie?"

ellie scrunched her nose. "you smell like beer. you been drinkin' already? or is it just the smell of your car? and it's cold. roll the window back down."

two-bit got out of the car and walked around to the passenger side, fixing the mirror, ignoring her request. "i think we both know the answer to that. thought you was supposed to be smart."

she looked at him in disbelief as he got back in the car. "so you're plannin' to drive while you've been drinking." she threw her hands up in frustration. "that's just—great. wonderful."

he looked at her quizzically, his hands resting on the steering wheel. "the hell's your problem? it's never been a big deal to you before." he started to pull out of their driveway.

"gee, two, maybe cause it's kinda illegal? and i did have a problem with it before, i just didn't say anything. you're reckless enough while drivin' sober. slow down." she rolled up her window.

he let out a laugh, "well, if it bothers you that much, you can walk to school in the cold."

"you can't make me do that. mama said you gotta look out for me at school."

amused, he let out a scoff. "yeah, well, last i checked, we're not at school, and this ain't mama's car. ask her to take you to school tomorrow if you hate bein' in the car with me."

"it's not funny. i don't feel safe when you're driving."

"aw, c'mon, you know i got it under control. i wouldn't do anything to put my only sister in danger." two-bit laughed again, but it all seemed so apocryphal. his eyebrows furrowed together in worry.

did his younger sister genuinely feel that he didn't care for her well-being?

the two siblings got to will rogers high, with ellie trudging along behind her brother. they met up with soda and steve, who were laughing at some socs. ponyboy and johnny were likely hanging in the courtyard. dally wasn't there, to no one's surprise.

ellie spotted melissa not to far away, and turned back towards the group. "i think i'm gonna go to the, uh, library. i'll see y'all later."

soda put his arm around her, "why're you so eager to leave, lizzie? do ya hate us that bad?"

"i don't think i could ever hate you guys, especially not you, soda. i've just got some studyin' to do," ellie lied, glancing back at her friend.

"what're you lookin' at?" steve asked, following her gaze.

"no one!" she said, a little too quickly.

he raised his eyebrows in amusement. "so, it's a someone? you got a boyfriend, betty? cause i'll go knock his teeth out right now. been itchin' for a good fight, anyhow."

soda shoved steve lightly. "c'mon, steve, lay off." he turned back around and looked down at her. "but y'know, steve ain't lyin'. if there's someone we gotta know about, you'd best let us know. don't want you getting into any trouble."