Chapter 11

Knees flat on the ground with the rain heavily pouring over his hunch form, Jackson remained wherever Youngji had left him. The tears were still flowing but were immediately washed by the heavy downpour. He didn't even bother standing up or looking for shelter because he felt the need to stay on his knees as if he was repenting for whatever pain he had caused everyone, especially Mark.

Mark. His best friend. His soul mate. His other half. For the years they've known each other, Mark had always been there for him. Jackson has other friends too but Mark stayed the longest. If Jackson was obnoxious, childish and impulsive, Mark was definitely the opposite. His presence gives Jackson a sense of comfort, of peace, calming down whatever raging emotions there is in both of his mind and his heart.

On that day he left, when he turned his back around on that one person who truly cherished and cared for him, he was confused. Mark is in love with him and has been for years. Jackson would've noticed but the problem is he didn't. He knew there isn't any cure for love because once you fall then, you've fallen, there's no in-between. It's only a matter of time when somebody will pick you up from whatever hole you fell over but then again, Jackson knew that fact wouldn't matter because when he left Mark he knew he screwed up big time. There's this voice telling him that he wouldn't be able to make everything right.

Second chances. Jackson doesn't know if that exists and if it does, he wouldn't be deserving of it anyway. He had failed Mark not just as his best friend, but also as his protector. All his promises to Mark had been thrown out of the window because he was reckless and rash. He hadn't weighted the pros and cons yet before he leaped out of the scene, ignoring the painful tug on his heart and his inner voice telling him to go back. If he hadn't been stupid and blinded with rage and disappointment, he would've ran back and collect Mark in his arms. But what's done is done. He had run out of time and there's no more chance for him to salvage their already shattered friendship.

Lifting up his head, he welcomed the raindrops on his face. However, that wasn't enough to wash away completely the remorse and regret that's been haunting him for days. His heart was beating normally but there was this pain looming over it, suffocating and drowning him painstakingly slow. Jackson didn't even notice that he was bawling. His voice doesn't sound like him anymore. It was full of grief and shame. He hadn't cried like that for years.

The last time he did was when he and Mark were kids, playing in the park. Mark was on the swing as Jackson pushed. The former demanded Jackson to push harder so he'd be able to reach the sky. It was an innocent request and Jackson did just that, laughing as he stretches his hand out and pushed Mark harder than usual. For a second, Jackson thought Mark was flying and on the next, he wasn't. He frowned as his little mind finally registered what really happened. Big, fat tears rolled down his cheeks as he stared at Mark on the ground clutching on his arm. He didn't cry though so Jackson cried for him. He continued to wail even if Mark's mother was holding him in her arms, telling him that Mark would be okay. He had only stopped crying when Mark finally came out from the doctor's office and held his hand while giving him a toothy smile.

A rush of emotions filled him as he reminisced. It was really a good memory, stored carefully in his mind. There was this one instance too when they were five. Jackson was watching some romance-comedy drama on the television and this one thought lingered in his head and since he was too excited, he blurted out to Mark that he'd marry him one day in front of their families. Of course, the adults think it was adorable since they are still kids but for Mark and Jackson, it was different. Jackson was determined and Mark was stunned but eventually accepted Jackson's proposal.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

"Markie." Little Jackson called and Mark looked from his drawing to him. "When I get older, I'm going to marry you. That's a promise!"