Why would Rachel be in a place like this?!?!?

The initial shock sent shivers down my spine. I felt an irrational fear that she might see through the layers and recognize me. The unexpectedness of the encounter heightened my anxiety and I was dreading that I was in for a bad time when we got back home.

"You," Her eyes were on me and my heart dropped.

GOD!

I'm done for!!!

"You look familiar," She began to walk towards me while my heart started drumming in my chest. Amara noticed and moved closer to me, taking my hand in hers. And although she provided some solace, I didn't want her to get in trouble so I shook her hand off and stepped away.

She looked at me in shock and I signed to her, 'I can't have you getting in trouble!'

Rachel reached us before Amara got a chance to say anything back. Her shadow loomed over and I felt my heart tremble in horror.

"You," Her eyes were red and she looked drunk. This close-up, I could see her more clearly and noticed how she looked a little out of it, "It's you," She raised her hand in the air as her facial expressions contorted.

OH NO!

I felt my heart squeeze in fear and I closed my eyes as Amara also began to panic.

"Mael!" Rachel called out to me, showing that she had indeed caught on and I was ready to get in a smack or two before I was dragged away.

However, the scene took an unforeseen turn, "Where have you been?" The hand she had in the air came and softly touched my cheek.

...!?!?

Huh??

"I've been looking for you," Her words slurred, and her gaze, clouded by the effects of alcohol, failed to pierce through the disguise.

???

I opened my eyes and looked back at her in confusion.

"M-mom?" I replied to her as I should as part of the family.

"Oh!" Her expressions were soft, "Mael," Broken even, "Where have you been?" She crouched down and pulled me into a hug.

!!!???

I had no idea what was happening and I glanced at Amara who stood in her place in confusion as well.

"Mael," Rachel caressed the back of my head, "I miss you so much my love,"

I was frozen stiff in my place but a weird sensation swirled around me. She called me 'Mael', that was my name at the time but she called it with so much tenderness I knew she wasn't calling me.

"Why did you leave me?" She pulled apart a little and looked at my face

!!!!

Tears were flowing down her cheeks, "Why?" She asked as she held my face tenderly in her hands, "Why did you leave Mom?"

My heart dropped deep into the pit of my stomach as soon as I realized she was mistaking me for her son— her real son.

A bizarre twist of mistaken identity that left me both a little relieved that she didn't recognize me and more perplexed since the situation had taken a complicated turn.

I couldn't bring myself to say anything to her. I could just watch her as her eyes glistened with tears and kept rolling down her cheeks. "Do you know how lonely I am without you?" There was a genuine vulnerability in her actions as she reached down for my hands and squeezed them, "I think about you every day..."