~08~ The Slaughtered Lamb

CHAPTER EIGHT:
THE SLAUGHTERED LAMB

The group stopped at an intersection as they weren't sure where to go

"Yeah, it's definitely left," Boorman claimed, pointing at the way leading further into the storm. "No, no doubt about it."

"Left?" Silas questioned, as he pulled put a map. "Left will take us through Pitiless Pass. I don't think the wagon will make it."

"It will. That's fine craftsmanship. And Pitiless Pass, I mean, while I'll admit is an unfortunate name, it's actually a perfectly lovely, nice pass. Which goes by, might I add, a cozy little inn called The Slaughtered Lamb. Kind of a home away from home for me and my old partner. It's got everything you could want, you know, in an inn," Boorman insisted.

"No. What about the other way?" Silas asked. "Through Capella Pastures into Voluptuous Vale."

"I mean, that does sound nicer," Graydon chimed in.

"Yeah, it also takes longer."

"No, it doesn't," Silas disagreed with Boorman.

"Does too."

"No, it doesn't."

"It does too!"

"No it doesn't. I will cut you," Silas threw away the map and pulled out his little knife.

"Hey!" Willow interrupted them. "In case you haven't noticed, a portal between dimensions is opening." He nodded towards the storm. "And when they reach it, Elora will be lost."

Then, suddenly, Willow began screaming in pain.

Verania, standing close to him, touched his shoulder worriedly.
Pictures floated her mind.

Elora was flying centimetres above the ground, in a room Verania couldn't identify. Her eyes were all white, no sign of an iris. Head leaned back as she looked up to something.

As abruptly as it came, it stopped.
She opened her eyes and immediately let go of Willow. Silas, sitting next to him in the wagon helped Willow back up.

"What? What's wrong?" Jade asked.

"I'm fine," Willow assured.

"He's fine," Silas agreed.

"You okay?" Kit asked Verania as she didn't say anything. She nodded and smiled briefly. Kit was a little sceptical, but accepted her answer.

"We split up," Boorman suggested. "Cover more ground." He pointed at the Nelwyn. "You guys take the safe, long route and I'll head up to The Slaughtered Lamb. See if I can't find the kind of help we really need."

"All right. You and Graydon go with them through the Capella Pastures, Verania and I will go with Boorman through the pass," Kit said primarily to Jade but looked at Verania for a second, to make sure she was fine with it. "We'll meet up at that Vale of Boobs or whatever."