twenty-eight; possessive

Magsimula sa umpisa

I clear my throat and nod. "Stepping up, I want to be more involved."

She flashes me a smile and pushes her dark brown braids over her shoulder, ones that have little gold cuffs in them. "Good for you, Milo. Want a drink?"

"Water is fine," I smile at her. I watch as she grabs a cup and fills it up before handing it to me. I thank her and take a sip. "So, this threat. It's serious?"

Danika quirks a dark brow. "Of course it's serious," she places a hand on her hip. "If we're not careful, we'll lose our land so we have to stand and fight."

I nod at her words and glance down at the counter. I better get myself into shape then because I've been out of training for far too long and I refuse to be the straggler at the back, not when I've seen Nate in action.

He puts me to shame.

"Milo?"

A voice that I recognise echoes from behind me. I instantly get a chill down my spine–and not in a good way. I glance over my shoulder to find a young man standing there, freckles across his nose and mousey brown hair.

He looks familiar but right now I can't place him.

I push up from the counter as he strolls towards me, Danika now making herself busy with her pack members at the other end of the kitchen. The man walks towards me, his eyes lit up like fireworks as he glances over my attire.

"Hi..." I trail off not wanting to sound rude.

He chews on his lip. "Henry... remember?"

Henry. Henry. Henry. Why can't I place a Henry?

I push out a hesitant smile and laugh. "Yeah," I say, not even able to convince myself.

"Apollo's parties?"

My throat tightens. Shit. Everything slams into place. Of course I remember this guy, I've been inside him once and that isn't a memory I want to hold onto. Not when I have so many other things going for me right now.

Then I remember my conversation with Apollo. Come on, Henry? He is honestly obsessed with you.

"Yes," I nod. "I remember. Hi."

Henry bites into his bottom lip as he trails closer, his presence making me want to back away but I don't cause a scene. "How have you been? I've missed seeing you around."

"Yeah, I've been fine. Not going to parties anymore."

His eyes deflate. "I know, I always wish to see you there. It's such a shame not to see you."

The way he's staring at me like he wants to eat me right now is frightening, best believe I won't taste nice one bit. I open my mouth but I have no idea what to say, not without embarrassing him or myself in the process.

Henry then places a hand on my arm and gives me a squeeze, panic sets in and I glance down at his death grip. "You should come over sometime." He whispers along my jaw and I grimace at the feeling of his breath against mine.

"Oh, no. Sorry, I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I found my mat–"

Before I can even finish my sentence, he has flung himself at me and tried to attack my neck with kisses and claw at my skin. I yelp out, completely forgetting that we're in a kitchen full of other people.

I manage to press my hands to Henry's shoulders and shove him off, the room turns silent and I know I have at least six sets of eyes on the back of my head right now. Henry's eyes flash with sadness, rejection. You don't fling yourself on someone like that, not when you're outside of a party or even inside a party--it's all about consent.