9.

Monica walked up to the stands, Harley on her right hand and Harper holding her left

Monica walked up to the stands, Harley on her right hand and Harper holding her left. As they reached their designated area Monica was met with the sight of Kirsty Yallop & Clara Markstedt awaiting their daughters arrival. 

"Thank you so much, you are such a doll." Kirsty thanked Monica profoundly.

"It is literally no problem at all, she is the cutest little thing." Monica, Kirsty and Clara all sat next to each other, the kids sitting on their mothers laps. Monica couldn't help but feel anxious coming into the match, it wasn't like she was playing but she was still so nervous for the outcome. She heard Tony saying earlier if they win this one they have a guaranteed place in the round of sixteen, what ever that was.

Before she knew it the players were announced into the stadium, each and every one of them from both teams walked out of that tunnel with their game faces on. Each of them were determined to win, determined to dominate. 

All the Australians in the crowd stood for the national anthem with the players, as she was singing Monica caught Sam's eye from all the way down on the pitch, she held such an intense gaze it was almost impossible to pull away. At the conclusion of the anthem a smile spread across the captain's face as she looked directly at Monica.

As the referee blew the whistle, the two teams clashed in the center of the pitch. The Matildas, dressed in their iconic green and gold, were determined to secure their place in the next round. The Nigerians, in their black jerseys and vibrant green shorts, were equally determined to make a statement.

The first half of the match was a tense battle, with both teams pushing forward relentlessly. The Nigerian Super Falcons showed their attacking prowess early, but the Matildas' defense stood strong. Tackles were fierce, and the midfield was a battleground of skill and determination.

In the 38th minute, the Matildas managed to break through. A beautifully executed play saw the ball find its way to Sam Kerr, their star striker. With incredible finesse, Sam Kerr expertly dribbled past Nigerian defenders and unleashed a powerful shot into the back of the net. The stadium erupted in cheers as Australia took the lead, 1-0.

Monica rose to her feet in instant celebration, her cheers were by far the loudest and she was surely losing her voice by the next day. Sam looked up to the girl in the stands with a proud smirk on her face before pulling her famous backflip celebration. Sam waved to the crowd making an extra stop to Monica sending her an extra wink. Monica's stomach flipped, she knew the gesture was just for her.

Just before the 45th minute came upon them the officials added extra time to the half. One minute into the extra time E-V-E scored an incredible goal with a timely assist from Caitlin. The stadium once again erupted into cheers of delight. Monica celebrated with all the other Australians by screaming her heart out.

Before half time was called Nigerian forward Uchena Kanu with an incredible volley towards the far post. Ninety five percent of the stadium gave a collective groan, many of them slumping further back into their seats, head in their hands. Of course Monica was disappointed but unlike some she was not going to make that obvious, she now knows just how much that can affect the teams performances not only in this game but the ones to come as well.