Welcome to the Crew

Now

"He's alive!"

Reyna was only two steps on the Going Merry when loud cheers rang through the ship. Of all the times for Zoro to wake, this was either the best or the worst. She followed the sounds back to the green-haired man's recovery room; overjoyed to see the smiles on both Usopp and Luffy's faces. And there, lying on the bed, was Zoro with his eyes open.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Reyna leaned against the door frame. "How are you feeling, Zoro?"

"Like I was attacked by a warlord," he remarked. "Who are you?"

"I'm-"

"She's the one who saved your life, dude!" Usopp answered. "Reyna really knows her stuff."

"So, you're a doctor?" he asked.

"Technically, I'm at apprentice-level, but I'm working on it," Reyna said. "And thank you for the compliment, Usopp. That was very sweet."

"Then I suppose a thank you is in order," Zoro made a weak attempt at sitting up, only to have Reyna push him back down onto the white sheets.

"There's no need," she occupied the chair beside the bed as she did so many times. "My job is to help people get better. That's what I do."

"You've got one hell of a throw, too," Usopp added.

"I did mention my short stint with a pirate crew," Reyna reached into her medical bag. "Medicine wasn't the only thing they taught me. Shall we take a look under the bandages?"

Reyna wasn't sure what to expect as she slowly unwrapped the gauze bandages around Zoro's torso. Were his wounds going to be almost fully healed? Was there going to be any change at all? Were they going to be infected and oozing puss all over the place? No foul odors attacked her senses, so the last option was very unlikely.

Thank goodness.

Once the wrapping was removed, the fish skin came next. Zoro was very confused, but remained silent with his sights trained on the woman. She was very intense and focused as she worked.

"Would you look at that?" Reyna said with a tone of elation as she looked at the wound's healing progress. The redness and swelling receded immensely since earlier that day. The stitches would need to stay in for a few more days, but the amount of progress in only a few hours made Reyna very hopeful. "Your body is healing very nicely. You'll have your swords back in your hands in no time."

"Whoa, it looks so much better already!" Usopp's eyes widened in surprise. "That's amazing!"

"I'm just going to clean around the stitches a little bit before I replace the old bandages with new ones. Work for you?" she asked Zoro.

"Whatever you say, doc," he glances over to Luffy. "She's staying until I'm better, right? I don't trust either of you with this stuff."

"Well," Luffy's attention turned back to the dark-haired woman, his child-like smile wide on his face. "I was going to ask later, but Reyna, do you want to be a part of our crew? We do need someone with medical expertise, after all. I also have a feeling you're a good fighter, too. No one with aim and throwing skills like that has it just for fun."