Chapter 14: An Unexpected Encounter

Under the warm sunlight, Rose and I played a spirited game of catch in the garden, our laughter filling the air. As we chased after a stray ball, we hurriedly entered a nearby room, unaware of the surprise that awaited us.

To our astonishment, we found ourselves face to face with a well-dressed gentleman in his late 30s. He appeared taken aback by our sudden intrusion, his eyes reflecting a mix of surprise and disappointment.

Rose's father, Mr. Whitlock, stood beside the gentleman, his face filled with anticipation and pride. He saw this as an opportunity to introduce us to Mr. Harrington, a man who had expressed a strong desire to marry Rose.

"Rose, Ethan, I'd like you to meet Mr. Harrington," Mr. Whitlock said, his voice tinged with excitement. "He's a remarkable man with a promising future, and I'm delighted to announce that you two are now engaged."

Rose's eyes widened in shock, her heart sinking at her father's announcement. She exchanged a quick, desperate glance with me, her eyes welling up with tears.

Mr. Harrington's face lit up with joy, a triumphant smile spreading across his lips. "Rose, my dear, I am overjoyed to be your fiancé. I have longed for this moment, and I promise to love and cherish you always."

Overwhelmed with conflicting emotions, Rose struggled to find her voice. "Father... Mr. Harrington... I... I can't... This... I didn't have a say in this decision. I'm not ready for an engagement. I need time to process everything."

Mr. Whitlock's expression faltered, a flicker of concern crossing his face. "Rose, my intentions were to secure your future and happiness. But if you're not ready, we can reconsider. Your happiness is important to me."

Mr. Harrington's smile faded, disappointment and confusion clouding his features. "Rose, I thought... I believed we shared a connection. If you're not ready, I cannot force you. Your feelings matter above all else."

Tears streamed down Rose's cheeks as she struggled to compose herself. "I appreciate your understanding, Mr. Harrington. But I need time to sort out my own feelings, to make sure that my heart is truly in this. Please... please be patient with me."

The room fell into a heavy silence, the weight of unfulfilled expectations hanging in the air. Rose's heart ached with the burden of her father's desires and her own conflicted emotions.

As Rose and I left the room, hand in hand, a sense of unease and uncertainty filled the air. We knew that the road ahead would be fraught with challenges as Rose grappled with her feelings and sought her own path amidst the expectations and pressures placed upon her.