Bitter Beginnings

Warning: graphic descriptions

I was maybe five when I started to realize the nature of this world and my place in it. And as I did, I started to hate it. Everything.

The villagers who thought it was right to torment and bully me.

That old man Hokage, who did nothing to help.

And myself, who couldn't do anything while they were beating me black and blue.

It was the night of my birthday, so I was probably definitely five when it happened. I made the mistake of wandering about, looking for a place to eat and celebrate. Someone threw a rock at my head. I was kind of used to it, but nothing could prepare me for the mob I saw when I turned around. I even recognized some faces in the crowd: shop owners that yelled whenever I approached their merchandise, wives who would cling to their husbands whenever I passed by, all sorts of people were standing in front of me, weapons and torches in hand. I didn't understand what was going on, but I knew I couldn't stay. So I ran like hell. It's not like I was able to get far on five-year-old legs. The villagers caught me and beat me until I passed out, maybe even for a while after that.

I came to consciousness a long while later, the rich smell of ramen noodles filling my nose, not like the instant kind. This was real, handmade ramen.

"Ah, you're awake. Eat up, you'll need strength to recover."

I looked down at my arms. They were bandaged. So was my torso and every other place I was hit. which was almost everywhere. A middle-aged looking man smiled down at me, sliding over a bowl of ramen. I approached it slowly, but began devouring it upon my first bite. It was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted. The flavours were so rich and the noodles were so filling. I could eat that every day for the rest of my life and die happy.

"Woah there, sport. Slow down a bit. You're gonna choke."

I gulped down the last bit of broth in the bowl and wiped my mouth with my hand. I stared up at the man, lost for words. I didn't even notice it.

"Now now, there's no need for tears. It's just a bowl of ramen. I can make it whenever you want, just come by my shop and ask." He wiped the tears off my face and carried me outside, gesturing to the big sign reading "Ichiraku Ramen". I looked between him and the sign a couple times .

"Ich-i-ra-ku," I read out slowly

"Mhm. That's me! Teuchi Ichiraku. And your name is?" The man put me down, kneeling down to my level.

"Naruto..." I responded quietly.

"Well, Naruto, I hope we can get along from now on!"

I made a friend that day.

It took three days for my injuries to recover. Three days was all I needed to decide that I would punish all of the people who wronged me.

After that, my life changed and changed fast. I started to steal, and the villagers started to show their hatred more openly. I stole food, books, scrolls, weapons, things I would need to survive and accomplish my goals. The villagers would spit on me, form small mobs to chase me around sometimes in the middle of the day. I snuck around at night, never letting myself be seen out in public if I could help it. I felt like prey, hiding in a jungle where everything was out out get me. My only sanctuary was with Mr. Ichiraku. he was the only one I could lean on.

On my sixth birthday, I woke up somewhere different. a boy with deep black hair was looking down at me, seemingly watching me sleep.

"Raven...?" I couldn't help but mutter as I came to. The boy got up immediately, running and returning with someone who looked just like him. I rubbed my eyes. "Raven...s?"