Roots - Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

“Maybe it won’t be so bad.  I mean all the Royal family does in England is put on great parties, and attend lots of charity events.  It would probably be the same thing right?” Mandy said as she flipped through a rack of dresses.  In a way, it was kind of weird that this had become a normal conversation between us now, even though I had just told her the truth a few days prior.

“Mandy, I was wondering about something from the other day…” I started to say as I began to try to think of a way to ask Mandy if she had feelings for Eric or not.  Was this even a good time? Or should I even mention it, perhaps she’d tell me when she felt like I should know, I thought briefly to myself as I walked towards the jewelry department of the store with Mandy casually tagging along.

“Yeah? What’s up? Oh that one is so pretty.” Mandy said as she pointed towards a small sapphire ring.

“Hello can I help you young ladies?” An elderly woman with glasses and a little bit too much make-up for her age said with a cold smile.  She probably knows we are just window shopping and probably thinking why are you wasting your time you high school girls. I thought negatively in my head.

“No we are just looking.” Mandy said softly as she continued to look at the rings as I pointed at one also with my left hand.

“Oh my dear, would you at least like to have your ring cleaned?  I ring that beautiful and precious should be cleaned whenever you can to make it shine.” The elderly said with a smile as she held out her hand towards me.  I had honestly forgot about the ring that I always wore on my left hand, the one that Nunna had given me several weeks again saying the warning, “never take this off”, the day that she had revealed that she was the long lost Grand Duchess Anastasia and that I myself was a Grand Duchess.

“Oh that’s okay, I couldn’t really afford a cleaning at the moment.” I said honestly.  I had heard the prices of jewelry stores who charged for cleaning of engagement rings, I did not want to spend that type of money when I myself didn’t see the need for it.  My ring was just as shiny as ever, I mean I guess it had gotten a little dull, but nothing like a little rub down couldn’t handle. 

“My dear, it is free.  Please it will only take a few moments. It will give me something to do, than watching you and your friend walk around the cases and not buying anything.” She said with a small smile.

“Oh Lisa, just let her clean it.  It will be all shiny for our trip.” Mandy said with a smile as she walked past me to look at the earrings.

I slid my ring off slowly, now feeling weird with it off my finger. It was probably because the weight of the ring was gone.  Yet, I still handed it to her with pleading eyes as I told her to please be careful with it, because it was antique.

“My dear, it will be fine.  Although I’d say, this ring looks oddly familiar.  No frets though my dear, it will be cleaned in just a few minutes.” She said as she turned to go towards the far side of the counter.  My eyes following her and looking around to make sure no one else hand the chance to distract her or take the ring.

“Lisa, relax, it will be fine.  So what was it that you wanted to ask me?” She asked as she pulled me to her side.