Chapter 1

Ben Nedial Sa'Aren was walking through the streets of the village when he first seemed to "come to". He gave a start as sudden memories washed into him, vague and fuzzy. He looked around at the buildings around him, then gave another start when he saw the giant of a man next to him, but he thought he recognized him. He looked down at his hands, and stared at them, then at the ground, so close to his eyes. The man wasn't tall- well, maybe he was tall, but Gaius- No, Ben- Ben was just short. After a moment, though, confusion came to him. Of course he was short. He was only eight. Why was he thinking about the man beside him that way, as if he were a stranger? It was Father, he's known him all his life. Ben pressed a hand to his head, grimacing. He couldn't seem to remember any events before that moment, though he could recall information. How strange. Where had that name come from?

"Ben?" The man- no, father- asked, stopping in his tracks. It took Ben a long moment to realize he had stopped keeping pace with him. "Is everything alright?" he asked.

Ben gave his best smile, and hoped it didn't look forced. "I'm alright, father. Just.. Got a headache, I think." Despite his best efforts, though, father frowned at his words. The smile did look forced.

"...Ben?" he asked, and Ben shook his head.

"I'll be okay, don't worry. Where... were we going, again?" Ben asked. That made father shake his head, giving a sigh.

"We were heading to master Gan's forge. You remember, don't you? You were so excited this morning." Concern could be heard in his voice. Why would father be concerned? Thinking about that mad Ben miss what he had said, at first, but once he processed the words, comprehension showed on his face, then excitement. Of course, master Gan! How could I have forgotten? he wondered to himself.

"Of course I do! Master Gan... Will I get to hold the hammer this time?" Ben asked excitedly. Confusion came over him for a moment. Why did you need a hammer to shape bronze..? Oh, right. Master Gan worked steel, not bronze. Why would he work bronze? Ben grimaced, putting the hand he had retracted back to his head. What was.. steel, again? Father's forehead creased again.

"...Are you sure you still want to go? It will be loud if you have a headache," father prodded. Ben shook his head, and tried to force a smile again.

"Of course I do! Why wouldn't I? Let's go!" He said, trying to hide his discomfort under a veneer of excitement. Father watched for a moment longer, doubtful, then nodded, leading onward again.

Following after father, Ben got to spend a long time at master Gan's forge. While there, he watched the smith's hammer fall and tried to absorb all the words he heard the man speak, but something lingered in his mind. An.. Oddness. It made his skin itch. When finally he left the  forge, he felt as if he had missed something, yet he was sure that the entire visit was burned into his mind.

The next morning, when Ben woke, he felt like he could remember his dreams clearly, something he'd never experienced before. His brother came and helped him wash and dress, but the dream didn't fade. It stayed there in the back of his mind, too detailed, too vivid to be a simple dream. Yet, he knew it wasn't a memory; Not his own. He paid little attention as the day passed him by, and he studied his dreams. He was sure they were more important than just learning letters. He was great with his letters! ...Wasn't he? He pressed a palm into his forehead, grimacing. He.. Wasn't. Of course he wasn't- he only started learning them last week. Pushing thoughts of the dreams down, Ben continued, trying to absorb the lessons as well as he could. He suddenly felt as if they were important.

Ben's next day was much the same; but the dreams this time picked up where the last ones left off. Too vivid for reality, too detailed for a dream. He couldn't shake the feeling that is was real, somehow- but when he mentioned them to Father, he only smiled and reassured him that they were only dreams. As if that was all he wanted them to be. But Ben didn't want them to be just dreams. What he did want them to be, though, he couldn't possibly say.