"what?" jungkook slightly chuckled, feeling that loving gaze directed towards him.

"nothing, it's just. . . i wish it was you i had fallen for"

jungkook gave a cheeky smile and bumped their foreheads.

"i wasn't the best in the past, would you still wish that?"

"hmm, i do wanna see how you were in the past. i've shown you my ugly sides, it's fair if i get to see yours too" taehyung softly murmured, his thumb gently brushing against jungkook's pierced lower lip, his focus entirely captivated by the glimmering silver ring, illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the window.

casting a penetrating gaze upon taehyung, who remained oblivious, jungkook sneered,

"i was a loser back then. you wouldn't have fallen for me"

with a perplexed expression, taehyung furrowed his eyebrows and straightened his posture, his gaze fixated on jungkook's unexpectedly solemn eyes. a wave of concern washed over him as he questioned the reason behind jungkook's melancholic expression. taehyung couldn't help but ponder if he had unintentionally broached a delicate topic.

"it's not your face or appearance i have fallen for, gguk. it's you as in whole. so what if you were a loser back then? look at me, i'm a bigger loser now aren't i? and you still love me for who i am, and you think i wouldn't have done the same?"

letting out a bitter chuckle, jungkook shrugged. "i just don't think you would. . ."

facing away from the confused brunette, jungkook thought,

"you never noticed me. . . if i showed myself back then, would it have made a difference at all?"

"gguk? hey" taehyung grabbed jungkook's face and made him look him in the eyes.

taehyung was keenly observant of the melancholic gaze that lingered in the depths of jungkook's eyes.

"the past doesn't matter anymore. it's you that i love now and we should cherish the present. honestly, i've spent too much time dwelling on the past, and i don't want to do that anymore."

"i don't know what happened in the past that made you feel so insecure and i know you're not comfortable telling me about it yet. . . but let's leave it behind, yeah? let's start new jungkook"

"start new?" jungkook exhaled gently while tenderly holding the hands that were on his face.

"yeah. a new start of us"

"you won't leave me right?" taehyung could sense the anxiety in jungkook's voice and feel him tightly holding his hands.

giving a reliable smile taehyung nodded, "never, i promise"

jungkook had reached a point where he couldn't bear to hear anything else. with a heavy heart, he found solace in burying his face in taehyung's chest, seeking comfort and protection.

their bodies entwined on the bed, bathed in the gentle glow of the moon above, creating a serene atmosphere that seemed to envelop them in a world of their own.

"i love you tae"

"i love you too, ggukie"

it was a new day.

as the sun's morning rays filtered through the window, they gently kissed taehyung's face, causing him to stir restlessly in his slumber. he shifted from one side to another, emitting a soft grumble, before finally summoning the strength to crack open his eyes and squint against the blinding brightness that invaded his vision.