A New Start

The letter read; "Mr. H. Potter, the Cupboard Under the Stairs, 4, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey." Harry looked down at the letter, confused. 'Why would anyone write to him? Who would write to him?' Harry hid the letter in his cupboard before setting the rest of the mail down on the table in front of Vernon. Harry then sat down and began to eat what little food Aunt Petunia gave him.

     After dinner, Vernon locks Harry in the cupboard. Harry, ever the clever boy, decides that once his aunt and uncle are asleep, he'll look at the letter. Harry only had to wait 15 minutes before he could hear his uncle's obnoxiously loud snoring. He began to open his letter, turning on the tiny, dim light. The letter read;

     "Dear Harry Potter,

     We are pleased to announce that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress"

     Harry then read the enclosed list.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

UNIFORM

First-year students will require: 1. Three sets of plain work robes (black) 2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear 3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar) 4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings). Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR cat OR toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK"

     Harry sat there confused. 'Hogwarts? School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Dark Forces? Potions? Transfiguration? What are half of the things mentioned in this letter? Was it all meant for Harry?' Harry shoved the letter under his pillow, he knew he'd probably never know. Who would even answer any of his questions?

     Harry fell asleep, wondering exactly what was going on and what it all meant.

—-------------------------------------------

     There was a loud banging on the front door, a loud screech from Vernon, and a scream from Petunia. Harry did his best to look out the vent in the cupboard door, failing to see anything of value. All that he could see was Dudley hiding behind his mother and father while Vernon was red in the face.

     "Where is Harry Potter?" came a booming voice. Petunia flinched and Dudley shrank back into the kitchen door.

      "Now who are you?! Get out of my house you- you freak!" Vernon shrieked, pointing one of his fat fingers at whoever stood in the doorway. He shrank back after a loud thud.

     "Now where is Harry Potter?" the loud, booming voice says again. There were a few more loud thuds and Vernon shrank back into Petunia, who was standing in front of the kitchen door. Harry shivered slightly. 'Who is this person? What do they want with him? Could it have something to do with the letter he got a week ago?'

     Harry shifted against the cupboard door and it creaked loudly. The thuds stopped and he heard his aunt gasp. Harry shrank back as the cupboard door was ripped off its hinges and thrown into the living room. Harry stared at the large, hairy face staring at him through the door frame.

     "Ah, there you are Harry!" Hagrid said joyfully, reaching in to grab Harry by the arm. Vernon rushed over, grabbing Hagrid's wrist.

     "What do you think you are doing, freak?!" Vernon screeched, trying to yank Hagrid away from Harry. "We won't allow him to go to that school for FREAKS!" Vernon bellowed. Harry stared at Vernon, confusion crossing his face. 'How'd he know about the school?'

     Hagrid let go of Harry and then waved his arm off to the side, sending Vernon flying into the wall. "Well, it's a good thing it's not up to you then." Hagrid laughed as Vernon staggered to his feet. Hagrid then turned to Harry, gently pulling him out of the cupboard. "This is for you, Harry."

     Harry was handed another Hogwarts letter addressed to him. "I.. I've already gotten one of these.." he mumbled, barely audible. Vernon's face twisted in fury and Hagrid nodded slightly.

     " 'Kay then. Will you be attending this year? If you are, we have to get your school supplies. I doubt these muggles would know where to get them." Hagrid let go of Harry as he put the letter back into his coat pocket.

      "He will NOT!" Vernon screeched. "I swore when we took him in that we'd put a stop to all this rubbish!" Vernon then grabbed Harry by the arm and yanked him across the room. Harry went slamming into the wall, hard, only for Petunia to shove him away and into the living room door frame.

     "He won't be going to that dreadful school! He will be nothing like his freak parents!" Petunia said loudly, shrinking back at the look Hagrid gave her.

     "You knew, you knew all along and never told me!?" Harry yelled at Petunia. 'Why had she never mentioned his parents?! Why didn't she tell him he was magical?"

     "Of course, we knew! How wouldn't we when they went around flaunting it? Perfect Lily. Our parents were so proud... We had a witch in the family... They didn't see her for the freak she was." Petunia said, shaking her head and scrunching her face up in disgust. "They just had to get themselves blown up, landing us with you!"

     "Blown up? I thought you said my parents died in a car crash!?" Harry gasped.

     "A car crash? A CAR CRASH!? Killing Lily and James Potter!?" Hagrid bellowed, holding his umbrella up. "Harry will be attending Hogwarts, like his parents, and their parents before them!"

     Hagrid then pulled Harry out the door. "Let's go get your school supplies."