"James," I breathe out and he finally seems to take a breath as well. His shoulders relax and he ends up kneeling in front of me.

"God, you scared me. What happened? What did you feel?"

"Didn't you feel it?" I ask but he frowns.

"You pushed me and fell to the floor so I didn't. Then you were just screaming there, hugging your knees and trembling," he explains and I take a deep breath.

"I think... I think I saw my last memories," I explain and James' frown depends. "I was dressed like this and someone locked me in a closet. I cried and cried but no one helped me. And I remember I wanted it to stop right there. I think I might... I might've died there."

James' eyes widen in shock and I keep trembling slightly.

"It was probably at college, James. I could hear people laughing at the other side. They did it on purpose," I continue. "I think I died there."

"Are you sure?" He asks, his voice barely a whisper.

"No, but it looks like the last time I was still alive."
He opens his mouth as if wanting to say something but nothing comes out. We just stare at each other with probably the same thought: they murdered me. Yes, it's likely they didn't intend to and it was just an accident but an accident they caused. If I really died there, then it's because of those people... and I don't even know whom they could be.

James stands up and I see him pacing in the room. I just stay on the floor watching him, feeling so confused and cold. So cold, especially now that James is not by my side.

He walks up to the urn and opens it, in just one movement that makes me gasp. He stops and seems to freeze when he sees what's inside: most likely my ashes. Then he closes it and takes the frame picture. He looks at it carefully and then turns it around to remove the picture inside. I furrow my brows, wondering what he's doing but I don't ask I just let him, feeling weird but for a different reason now, one I can't describe.

"This picture," he speaks out, still holding it in his hands and not turning to look at me just yet. He seems to be too focused inspecting it. "How old were you here, Paige?" He asks next, turning around to make me see the picture again.

"I'm not sure," I reply, shrugging. "Probably fifteen or something."

He gulps and his blue eyes are so intense on me.
"Do you realise what this means, Paige?" He questions next but I just keep furrowing my brows, confused.

"I was happy once with my parents and could smile despite everything?" I suggest but he shakes his head.

"No, it doesn't mean that although it is true." He finally approaches me and my whole body seems to react to him, trying to get closer faster. He then kneels in front of me and hands me the picture. "Read what's written at the back."

I do as told, turning the picture and finding mum's writing there with a few words.

"Finally seeing our baby smile honestly," I read out loud. "Cardiff, summer nineteen ninety-eight..." I continue but my voice fades and I hold my breath. I can only look at the date written there.

I remember the trip now. Dad offered to travel around the UK during summer, trying to put the best distance between us and Street. I think Dad was also trying to look for a better place to live, hoping I'd like another city more than where we already lived. I don't remember what happened after that whether we even really considered moving but I remember having fun and being happy just with them.

And that was seventeen years ago.

If I died at seventeen and I was around fifteen in that picture, that means I died fifteen years ago.
I look up at James, my eyes wide in horror at the realisation. His own eyes are pitiful and worried but also ever so sad. He looks as devastated as I feel and for a second I want to reach him. Hug him to comfort both him and I, but I can't move.

"Fifteen..." I whisper, my voice cracking. "I died fifteen years ago, James. I've been dead for fifteen years. My mum's been alone for fifteen years. I've been a ghost and stuck here for fifteen years... oh my God."

~•~

Hello there! I'm back in Chile *sobs* and I wrote this in my stay in Toronto (it was so great I just wanna come back!) but didn't have a chance to update until now. Regarding the chapter I hope you liked it. Let me know on the comments!

Dedication to aurorallycrowned

Bel, xx

PS: I'll give the dedication later when I can have access to a computer.