-4-

I do end up talking to James again. And yes, to, not with because he doesn't reply, no matter how annoying anyone is. He really ignores us all, no discrimination whatsoever so I don't feel that bad. I don't talk to him because I'm hoping I'll be the only exception but because I'm always bored. When he ignores me, I don't feel it's because he has something against me but because he does that to everyone and I got to do something. Everyone else has friends and they spend time together. The only loners are James and I and I'd rather follow him around than watching what my other classmates do in their spare time.

It's been almost two weeks since he joined us and I think even Roxi and Adeline realised that no matter what they do, he will ignore them both.

Maybe, a tiny part of me likes him because of the way he keeps avoiding them. I think everyone who doesn't fall for the cheap tricks of those two is good quality.

The rumours keep following James as he doesn't say anything and has this mysterious aura around him which only makes it worse. People are getting more creative. I heard somewhere that James is a cover agent from Interpol and as almost no one has heard him speaking, they don't even think he is English. I'm sure James is not older than eighteen but people do think he's some twenty-eight guy pretending to be a teenager going undercover to get some criminals. Very much like 21 Jump Street.

I think the theory of James being a new version of Hannibal Lecter is more amusing, though.

The kid won't approach another human, though, so I'm not sure about those rumours. But he does have a liking for weird creepy things like monsters. He is writing a graphic novel —or I think that's it with those illustrations of his. He works mostly on that when he gets a bit of free time, which is not much as he is doing his best to catch up. 

I talk a lot to him, as usual. It's me mostly ranting and telling him of all the rumours I've heard so far.

"I heard Alice and Chris talking about you," I tell him as he keeps working on his later assignment. The deadline is tomorrow and I think he's stressed. "I mean, they are always talking about you. They are these thriller addicts, you know? Always watching detective shows and stuff. They went crazy over Broadchurch. So don't take it personally, I think they just want to figure you out."

Once again, no response but I'm used to it by now. Talking to James it's like talking to a wall.

"Did you watch Broadchurch? I did with Mum and I swear, spoiler alert! I never imagined that Joe Miller was the murderer. Poor Ellie," I lament, remembering the show and how stressful it was. 

It was the most animated I've seen Mum since Dad left her, engaging completely on something. It's hard to get some sort of reaction from her, it's like she's lost somewhere and all you get from her are some mumbles and nods. I honestly don't know how she manages at work. I guess that being a bank teller doesn't require much charisma or conversation skills and. As long as she does her job she'll be fine.

"Anyhow, they were saying that you're running from a murderer. You were a victim but managed to escape and now are trying to hide from everyone. You don't want to raise suspicious so you keep a low profile in case the psycho gets here and asks for you. If you don't talk to anyone and hide your face then people won't be able to spot you," I tell him, watching out of the window this time instead of seeing his work. "If that's the case, my friend, I think you should've stayed out of college. By enrolling you get in the system and anyone can find you like that... unless you stole someone else's identity! The other victim, perhaps?" I inquire, getting into the drama. "What is your plan, James Black?"

I don't get an answer. Not like I was waiting for one.

"Nah, bet you're just some boring bloke who doesn't like people, that's all."