A Little Dog's Love

The day had been long with new souls needing lead to the afterlife and it wasn't slowing down. It looked like it would be another late night. 

A second pile of papers began growing on the far end of the desk as the poor runner came huffing and puffing with another stack. He lugged the stack onto the edge of my desk before giving me an apologetic glance. "I'm sorry boss, but the paperwork is flooding the office and there's nowhere to move it to." 

I looked at him quietly thumbing through the stack of papers that were set in front of me. It wasn't even halfway done. This job is never-ending. "Rair, it's alright. See if Vivian is in her office and have her start placing souls with collectors."

Rair paused for a second staring at me with large round eyes. He had only been working here for a week. I knew he wouldn't last another week here before I had to call in a favor to the man upstairs. It always happens with new placements. They never could deal with the magnitude of souls entering into the afterlife daily. This office has seen at least twenty new placements be moved to other departments that weren't so... demanding of their workers. 

"You don't go and collect the souls yourself?" 

I chuckled to myself. It was quite a common question and one that always made my day. "I can't be everywhere at once you know. My team of collectors are more than capable of getting the jobs done," I explained in a light tone. "I take the jobs that have rather... special circumstances." 

He nodded then looked at the stack of papers with resentment. I snapped my fingers and a small trolly appeared next to him. Rair jumped in surprise and smiled quietly at me while placing the stack of papers on the trolly. He opened the door hesitant about which way to go. 

"To your left and it'll be the large red door at the very end of the hall."

"Thank you!" Rair called out before shutting the door behind him.

I shook my head and chuckled. Maybe he deserved the benefit of the doubt. 

The stack in front of me wasn't getting any smaller and I of course wasn't getting any younger here. So, reluctantly I started combing through the stack again. It was a challenge reading through a reduced version of a person's life on one sheet of paper. How could life be explained on a thin sheet of paper? It never could. 

It was a rather mundane stack that the collectors could handle. A lady well into her nineties passed peacefully in her sleep. It looked like her husband had passed away a year ago. I smiled. Reunions were always the biggest parties. My smile faded as I moved on though. A young girl no older than ten lost the battle to her cancer. Maybe I would go handle this one personally? I laid the sheet to the side and moved on. A deer was killed by a car. Get about ten of those a week. Moving on. 

An hour later the stack was finally assorted and I had jobs outside of the office for the first time in months. Ten cases would be handled personally. I stood from my chair stretching my stiff muscles. Maybe I should take Micheal up on the offer and start working out with him. 

I gathered up the stack of papers for the collectors and headed down to Vivian's office. It wasn't a long walk but one I rarely made sadly. Only ten doors between me and her and yet I couldn't find the time to ever pop in for a hello. 

Mental note: start visiting Vivian without a handful of paperwork for her.

The hall was quiet with only the carpet muffling my steps. Most everyone in the hall was gone for the day finishing up their work rather early today. I envy them. Walking down passed the quiet offices, an inviting aroma of warm vanilla and soft music flooding through the ornate red door. I smiled and knocked.