𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙬𝙤 | 𝘼 𝙇𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝙏𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙚 𝙊𝙛 𝙏𝙤𝙭𝙞𝙣

Destinymaker sighed, taking in the vast expanse of the island.

The island itself wasn't in bad shape, it's just, the air had a hint of something, something charred and ancient.

Destinymaker couldn't tell if the air smelled pristine or acrid, either way her excellent NightWing smell picked up on every single drip of what was once, most likely, toxic ash.

She looked to Balefire, who was happily skipping along the pebbled walkway that led to the entrance of what would be called their new home: Everfall Academy.

Normally, Balefire would not have been allowed to come on school premises until visiting day, but the headmistress, a kindred dragoness named Skylight, allowed it due to their... situation.

"Come on," Bale moaned, "could you be a little slower?" Her voice was dripping with the acidic sarcasm Destiny had learned to love and accept from her younger sister.

"Cut me some slack, will you? I'm carrying both of our things." It was true. Destiny was lugging along both of their things, regrettably, her bag had the most volume.

Bale smirked, jogging up to her sister and poking the bags, "And whose is bigger?"

Destiny rolled her eyes and continued walking along the path, Balefire right on her heels.

Destiny tucked her wings in to make herself look smaller, she'd learned the tactic from the novels she'd read of a NightWing named Moonwatcher, a NightWing from years ago who'd defeated King Darkstalker with the help of her friends, if Destiny was not mistaken, they were from all of the tribes. Some were royal, one was a hybrid- and they all were friends! Imagine that, a world where all the tribe got along, where hybrids weren't total outcasts.

She smiled, she couldn't believe that in some time, dragons got along.

Destiny was snapped back to reality when Balefire tugged on her arm, it didn't do much with the height Destinymaker had on her sister, but Bale managed to mover her a solid three talonsteps.

Destiny chuckled, "Okay, I can walk on my own."

Balefire was only Destiny's younger sister, but in some ways, she felt like her daughter. It was sad that the bond they shared was like that.

"Finally!" Bale complained as the trudged up the stairs that led to the academy's main entrance.

Once they'd made it to the top, Destiny finally got a good view of Everfall Academy's main hall- it was huge, bigger than any cave she'd seen before. Not only was it huge, but it was cheerfully decorated with banners and ledges, arches led to halls that led who knows where, and there were dragons. So many dragons. But it wasn't just one type, they were all different, from the tip of their tails to their pointy horns.

Some dragons had dull colors- browns, grays, tans, et cetera- others had vibrant, eye scorching hues Destiny had never seen before- magenta, chartreuse, banana, aquamarine- it was so amazingly migraine-inducing.

The only downside to all these dragons was the noise. It was insistent and pounding. No, it was not thoughts, as Destiny had learned earlier in life, but rather, emotions. The noise was the dragons clear and pure emotions.

From her many years of living with her 'empathy' as the books she'd read called it, Destiny had learned how to decipher the origin of the emotion, from either the mind or the heart.

Mind emotions were Destiny's favorite as they weren't as strong and could be blocked out easily, whereas the emotions from the heart were a pain in the tail. They always left Destiny with a huge headache.

Balefire's emotions on the other talon were the hardest to block out, because Destiny was always worried for her, especially with Bale's tendency to forget things- which was only worsening by the day.