Chapter 32: Community Swelling

Autumn 1770

The big house is complete, a two-story house, white-washed and shingle-roofed with glass windows. All the work has largely been spurred on by the cramped, tense conditions in the cabin. With a new infant, space had been running out. Ellen, Roger, and Jemmy are living in the cabin along with Jamie and Claire while Brian has been staying in one of the shelters. Cramped is an understatement.  

In the months after their return, word had kept spreading about Fraser's Ridge, and more and more people of all ages, be it individuals, pairs or families, were flocking to settle on it. From them, Brian and Jamie received help in building the new house. This meant that you couldn't turn a corner anywhere in the house without hearing hammering or sawing, smelling wet paint, or stepping on loose nails or tools. The downstairs was nearly done, but the upstairs was not even halfway. So, with the bedrooms being unliveable, Jamie and Claire take up in what would become a smaller guest room on the first floor while Brian takes the bedroom attached to the kitchen. Roger and Ellen stay in the cabin with their son.

Over the last several months, Fraser's Ridge had grown from just a stand-alone cabin with a family of five to its own small village. Since there are more and more people, that means the Big House was not the only building being constructed. The number of settlers has tripled, and they have all built their own homes across the 10,000 acres. Brian finds himself taking part in all sorts. He helps Bon O'Neill and Theo Frye build various businesses, including Ronnie Sinclair's cooperage, a smithy (Theo's), and a general store (Bob's).

——

Grannie MacEalair enjoys watching people go about their day. The feeling of seeing constant people every day rather than just one or two every few days gave the Ridge a much warmer and more familial atmosphere and is a change from what she was used to. Grannie MacEalair is glad her son Chalmers had brought her, his wife Ismene and their two daughters Eudora and Penuel here. It seems just the right place for them all.

However, it's not long before Grannie MacEalair worries about her granddaughters being led astray. She voices her concerns to Ismene who blinks at her in disbelief and amusement.

"Wha' makes ye say tha'?" Her daughter-in-law says as she pegs up the dap clothes onto the line in front of her. Chalmers is assisting with the building of the settlement while Eudora and Penuel are collecting plants and herbs for Mistress Fraser. Grannie MacEalair sits in a chair next to her peeling some carrots.

Grannie MacEalair scoffs. "Ye canna tell me ye don't see it. It's Mr Fraser's son, Brian. I worry he's an inveigler."

"An inveigler?" Ismene snorts. "How could ye say tha'? He seems like a lovely young man. Civil and respectful."

"How can he be those things when he's happily leadin' young girls astray?" Grannie MacEalair retorts.

"How do ye mean?"

"Ye ken know wha' I mean." Grannie MacEalair snaps. "Eudora and Penuel, they're makin' fools o' 'emselves. Watchin' 'im from a distance, goin' up te talk te 'im unaccompanied and he smiles and talks te 'em. Dinna ken wha' impression it's givin' everyone."

"He's bein' polite." Ismene argues.

"Is he? I willna believe tha'."

"He's a nice lad also his father does own this land." Her daughter-in-law points out. "Ye could say he's quite eligible."

Grannie MacEalair humphs. She knows that young man is bad news for her granddaughters even if Ismene can't see it.