Chapter 1

Angel

Two years later

I stare at the invitation on the dining room table with rapt attention, like a beacon it shines at me, reminding me of my loss and her gain. Tenley Adair, the one who replaced me. I mean, what the fuck kind of name is that? I hate her instantly, but I know her and she is not to be hated because she's freaking wonderful and truthfully, perfect for him. I want to hate her.

Picking up the invitation and my coffee mug, I walk into the living room where Jeremy, my roommate is perched with the remote in his hand.

"He's getting married?" I question, waving the invitation in front of him. "Were you going to tell me?" Jeremy curses, dropping the remote and quickly snatching the invitation from my hand with an apology that he meant to put it away, but forgot. "You don't have to hide it from me, Jeremy. I'm happy for him." Sort of. I explain, sitting down in the love seat.

Jeremy's eyes meet mine, sympathy rolling off of him in waves, which irritates me because it's undeserving. "I wasn't hiding it. I just didn't want you to find out that way."

"Is there really a good way to find out your ex-fiancé is getting married and it's not to you?" I laugh because really what else am I going to do?

"Are you going?" I ask.

His head tilts and he gives me his sad eyes. "He's my brother, you know I am."

"And Kane?"

"Don't do this."

"Do what?" I ask with a shrug.

"You know the answer to that, too."

"With her, you think? That blonde he's been dating. She's pretty. Don't you agree?"

"Angel?"

"Hmm?"

"Stop. Let's talk about something else. Okay?"

Jeremy gives me that damn look again. Poor Angel his eyes say. I want to smack the expression right off of his face. "It's fine, Jeremy. Really." It's not actually because it sucks, but I can't change the past no matter how much I wish for it.

"Fuck!" Jeremy says, looking down at his phone on the coffee table, which is ringing. One name across the screen and my heart seizes in my chest. Kane. Jeremy's apologetic eyes lift to mine and I shrug as he answers it, sitting on the sofa with my feet tucked in and my coffee to warm my cold heart. I get that Ezra is family and there is a bond that can't ever be broken, but it's difficult when my roommates are also very close to Kane.

"Kane. What do I owe the pleasure of this morning wake up call?" He listens and I try to hide my interest. "That's great, man. Congratulations!"

What's great?

Congratulations for what?

Shit!

Thankfully, Avery walks into the living room and distracts me from my urge to plop my ear on the other side of the phone so I can hear Kane's voice.

She asks, "Did y'all make coffee?" Oblivious to my inner turmoil.

I follow her into the kitchen and hop up on the counter while she pours her a mug of coffee. "Did you know?" I ask.

She quickly glances at me. "Know what?"

I pull my knees up and tuck my head onto them. "About the wedding."

Avery turns completely to face me and frowns. "I did."

"Because he invited you?"

She nods, "Because he invited us, Angel."