𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢

I will be brief and vague with the violence in this chapter, just because yall have read her going through so much violence already.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

The guards flung me into the dungeon, indifferent to my struggles and shrieks. I dashed towards the cell door, desperate to escape before its final closure, but the lock clicked shut just as I reached it. A cry of despair escaped me as I clutched the cold iron bars, watching the silhouette of the guards fade into the gloom.

In the dimness of my cell, I retreated to a shadowed corner. I thought of when Azriel had showed me how he'd gotten his scars within a cell much like this one. How he and Astraea survived eleven years in such captivity was beyond my comprehension.

Home had finally been within reach, and now, as the reality of my situation sank in, tears threatened to spill. I drew my knees close, mourning the freedom that had slipped through my fingers.

My thoughts turned to Elio. Would he dare to help me, or was he too closely watched by his father? The uncertainty of my fate was suffocating. Would he kill me? Or keep me alive? And if he did keep me alive, for how long?

Gideon's fate lingered in my mind; surely, he would be spared, the heir to a cruel legacy. My only solace was the hope that Elio would shield him from Beron's abuse.

And then there was Diana, who must be anxiously awaiting our arrival. The thought of her concern gnawed at me. Could my family help me, or was I to become another lost soul within these stone walls?

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

In the following hours, I was consumed by the mystery of his intentions with me. The answer began to reveal itself as the echo of footsteps approached from the corridor.

Tension clawed at my insides, making me tremble. Beron came into view. I thought of attacking him as he unlocked the door.

As if he had read my thoughts, he conjured a barrier between us. Only after securing this defense did he unlock the door and step inside, careful to relock it before dissolving the partition.

"You've lost me quite an important opportunity," Beron spoke. I stared up at him, trying to stop my body from shaking. I hated being so helpless. "The amount of faebane Willem had access to would've been helpful for us. Now, you've sent away his bride."

"She was never his bride," I said.

"Now, she never will be," he snarled. "And that's your fault."

My gaze was involuntarily drawn to an object he clutched in his grip—a whip. A sharp exhale escaped my lips as I recoiled further into the corner. He chuckled at my fear.

He advanced towards me, and I just wished I could disappear through the wall. I pressed myself against it, my eyes squeezing shut.

His hand came down to grip my forearm. I smelled burning flesh before I felt it. His hand was searing hot, leaving me shrieking as it burned a print into my arm.

He didn't seem to care; he only threw me down onto my front. I tried to crawl away, only to be kicked in the side. I cried out as his boot crunched down on my shoulder, keeping me in place.

The first strike of the whip made me scream as it tore through the back of my dress and my skin. His boot pressed down harder, and I cried out as I heard a crunch sound from my shoulder.

I tried to keep my screams down as the whipping continued, not wanting to give him the satisfaction. But it was so hard. The pain was searing.

I was left trembling on the ground when he left, blood streaming from my back to the floor. I was too weak--in took much to move. I let my sobs become loud again when he was gone.