Chapter Two: Hurting Internally

"Shit-" I mutter out as the tattoo gun falls out of my hand and onto the floor. The ink cartridge falls out and the ink splatters out.

"Are you kidding?! Ugh! You stupid interns don't know how to do shit!" The customer says out in a loud annoyed voice as she walks out of the tattoo parlor.

"Wa-wait come back I ca-" The door slams shut and I sigh. I bend down and pick up the tattoo gun and start to clean up the ink.

Buzz...
Buzz...
Buzz...

I look over at my phone and see that Audrey was calling, I pick up the phone and put it on speaker.

"Hey Audrey... What's up?"

"I just want to ask if your okay, your shift ends in an hour right?"

I finish cleaning up the stubborn ink off the ground and respond to Audrey. "Yeah and this will probably be my last shift..."

Audrey's voice quickly changes to concern. "What happened?" She questions

"Well I dropped a tattoo gun on the ground and messed up a tattoo. Now there's a huge ink stain on the floor..." I trailed off quickly not really wanting to talk about it.

She responds with a simple, Just don't overwhelm yourself.

She then hangs up and I sit down on the chair of the receptionist, we never got business anymore so the receptionist never came into work.

I'm not getting better...

The doctor told me it's pointless to continue treating it...

If anything I'll die next month...

I stand up and walk outside, I grab my phone from my pocket and was about to call Audrey to pick me up when I hear someone talking.

"Hey! Toby?"

I look up and see the one and only Dominic Adams, aka my crush of five years.

He looks down at me and says, "Are you alright....?" He asks sounding concerned.

"Oh uh, yeah! Just uh... hard day at work!" I smile sheepishly and put my phone back in my pocket.

He smiles "Oh do you need a ride home? I can drive you back to Natalia's if you want?" I consider his offer.

I didn't want to waste his time but Natalia was probably in class and Audrey was busy with homework so I'm kinda backed into a corner.

"Sure! Everyone else is busy so why not?" He smiles warmly and takes my hand. "Well come on then!" We both walk to his car.

I carefully climb into the front passenger seat of the car and look in the back to see a kid in a safety seat.

"Uhh, who's the kid?" I ask motioning to him. "Oh yeah, that's Sophie's kid..."

I widen my eyes and tilt my head. "Kid.. how the fuck did she end up with a kid?" I asked confused considering the fact that Sophia is a lesbian and hasn't had a relationship since we broke up.

"A one night stand and a shit ton of mojitos... you really should have been at the party it was so muc-" He frowns. "I'm sorry I completely forgot about your heart issue..." He steps on the gas pedal and backs out of the parking lot.

"No it's, it's fine. I wish I could have been there though! It definitely would've topped being stuck in a shitty hospital..." I say as I peer out the window.

I think to myself. Should I tell him what the doctor said..? He'd be devastated, but it's the right thing... right?

"Hey you alright?" He asks snapping me out of my thoughts. "O-oh yeah I just, I have to tell you something..." He raised an eyebrow in curiousness.

"What is it..?"

In the moment my mind was racing and I didn't know what to say in the moment other than 3 words that were the worst thing I could say to this man.

"I-I, I love you..." I whispered out.

"I'm sorry what did you say..?"

"I love you damnit! I've loved you for so long but I was to much of a bitch to say anything! I'm sorry! I-I know you have a girlfriend but I just love you so much it hurts it fucking hurts!"

Suddenly, I take a sharp inhale and my chest is burning, my heart was beating faster than a marathon runners.

"I-I, I uhm..." Dominic try's to say something but he's speechless. But he immediately noticed my breathing.

"Are you, are you alright?! Toby?!" I feel as if I lost my voice, I so badly wanted to respond but I just couldn't.

The last thing I saw was Dominic pull over and call 911.

"Hello?! My friend! Their having a heart attack you need to send out a ambulance now!"