twenty-seven; first date

En başından başla

I never told her about Milo's addiction. I'd never tell that to anyone because he told me it in confidence and I don't expect my sister to understand. "It's complicated," I tell her with a small smile. "But right now it's not the time for him and I will respect that."

Viola nods and drops the subject. "Alright, let me shower and I'll grab those fairy lights."

"Thanks, Vi." I call out before entering my own room and showering off the mud and sweat that covers my body.

After I'm clean and I change into fresh clothes, I sit on my bed making a list of all the things I will need. I mindlinked Elin earlier and he said that it's all good to use his father's pickup truck, as long as I don't damage it.

I'm not really intending to drive it far but I'm still a sensible driver.

Later on Viola enters my room with a bunch of different lights in lots of different colours. I pick which ones I want to use as she settles on my bed beside me. She glances at me when I stare at her. "You don't think this is a lame idea do you?"

"Not at all," she shakes her head. "I think it's sweet, you're going to go to all of this trouble for him. It shows that you care a lot and it's straight out of a movie."

My eyes roll with a thick smile on my face. "You would say something like that."

"Have you even asked him out yet?"

I hesitate and her eyes bulge out of her head.

"You haven't even asked him yet?

My teeth bite into my bottom lip. "I'm a bit scared," I admit. "What if he says no?"

"He's not going to say no."

"How can you be sure?"

"Because he's obsessed with you, Nate. Gah, sometimes I want to smash your head against a wall so you can understand."

When her hands throw up in the air, I know she means business. So I suck down a breath and nod, she leaves me alone so I can contact Milo through mindlink. Not that she could hear my conversation but I need to prepare myself before I pluck up the courage to ask.

I stare at myself in the mirror and nod. "You can do this." I tell myself.

My eyes flick between my own in the reflection and I curse. I am beyond pathetic.

I throw myself back to my bed, around the cables of fairy lights and stare up at the ceiling.

Hey. I shoot down the mindlink.

Hey, you okay?

Yeah. I'm okay. You?

Yeah, feeling better today.

I'm glad.

The mindlink pauses for a few moments and I swallow back my dry throat.

I wanted to ask you something. I say hesitantly.

Yeah?

How would you feel about go–

My eyes shut as the words barely form in the back of my mouth.

Feel about what? He asks.

How would you feel about going on a... date with me?

Are you asking me on a date?

Blood pumps around my body aggressively. Yes.

The silence feels about ten years long and my heart thumps inside my throat.