CHAPTER 41: Pyres of Endless Darkness

“Ang ganda-ganda mo talaga, Ms. Zendaya,” the talented makeup artist complimented me.

“Thank you,” I replied with closed eyes.

I am taking part in a charity fashion show at a hotel today, where all proceeds will support those impacted by a recent super storm. I won’t gain any personal income from this occasion, but it’s okay because that’s not the reason why I am going to participate. My participation is driven by the desire to help people.

“Of course, she is beautiful; I’m her mother. She got her looks from me,” Mama G chimed in.

“Luh, guard, may baliw po rito,” sabi naman ni Crisanta.

“Haha, true!” sang-ayon naman sa kanya ni Mama G na ipinagtaka ko. “Talagang may baliw dito, nandito ka, e! Kapag umalis ka rito, wala nang baliw!” dagdag nito saka nagsimulang tumawa nang malakas.

“Luh, ang korni! Ang korni mo, Ma!”

“Uh . . . Feel free to open your eyes now, Ms. Zendaya,” the artist awkwardly told me.

I did what he said. I opened my eyes and when I saw my face, I was amused! “Wow, you’re amazing! Can you do my makeup for my birthday photoshoot and celebration?”

The makeup artist smiled. “Absolutely, Ms. Zendaya! It’d be my pleasure,” he agreed. “By the way, what do you want me to do with your hair?” he asked.

I answered his question, and after that, he styled my hair the way I wanted. When he finished, I wore a black tube top paired with white square pants for the fashion show.

“Alin dito, Madam?” Crisanta asked, presenting two options.

“Hmm . . .” I pondered. “The white platform wedge heels,” I decided.

“Okie, dokie!” Crisanta exclaimed, placing the unchosen shoes aside. She then knelt in front of me and expertly put on the selected heels. “Done!”

I smiled appreciatively. “Thanks, Crisanta.”

Fully prepared, we left the salon and headed to the charity event.

“Ms. Zendaya, how long have you and Hans been dating?”

“Why claim to be just friends when you’re always together, looking like a couple?”

“Do you genuinely like Hans, or are you only seeing him to divert attention from the controversy about you being the former governor’s mistress?”

Despite the onslaught of questions, I remained silent, choosing to walk inside the hotel without responding to the inquiries.

“Zendaya!”

I turned to the person who called me and my eyes widened. “Cherry!” I exclaimed, walking toward her. “It’s great to see you again. You look stunning, by the way. Your new hair suits you,” I told her.

She smiled. “Thank you, Zendaya!” she replied. “You look good too!”

“Aw, thanks, Cherry,” I expressed my gratitude. “By the way, I’d like you to meet Mama G, my manager, and Crisanta, my personal assistant,” I introduced these important figures in my life to her. “Guys, meet Cherry, my fellow model,” I added.

Cherry greeted them with a smile. “Hello, nice to meet you both,” she said.

“Nice to meet you too, Ms. Cherry,” Mama G said with a smile.

“Nice to meet you too, Ms. Beautiful,” Crisanta said. “Are you half American?” she asked her.

Cherry nodded. “Yeah, my father is American, and my mother is half Filipino and half Spanish,” she shared. “What about you, Zendaya, are you half?” she turned the question to me.

I shook my head. “No, both my parents are pure Filipino,” I replied.
The four of us continued chatting until the fashion show kicked off. As usual, being the top model in the country, I opened the show.

“We should hang out sometime,” Cherry suggested after the fashion show; now it’s the after-party.