"Son," Dad began in a firm tone, "she already is. Being your mate is enough to make her a target. If you think that there isn't someone out there right now who's plotting to use her against you, then you are largely mistaken. The moment she stepped into our world, she was in danger, and she will be for the rest of her life. Just like we both are."

He was right. I knew he was right, but damn it, I wouldn't give anyone another reason to think of hurting her or taking her away from me. Rain pelted the window, and the sunlight streaming in dimmed.

"Let me ask you something," Dad said after a minute of silence. "If you know that there's someone out there whose blood can get rogues out of their craze. Would you be against them using their blood to help?"

I huffed. "It's their choice if they want to help or not."

"Then who the hell do you think you are to keep her from doing what she wants to do?" he asked with a scoff. "You're her mate, not her keeper. It's your job to protect her if she chooses to do the right thing. She doesn't have to adapt her actions and convictions to suit your whims, it doesn't work that way.

"You might be the future king, but she'll be your queen. She can do whatever the hell she wants. And when she wants to do the right thing, you better make damn sure she's safe doing it."

I leaned back in my chair. His words were a slap to my face. Gripping my hair, I looked at the window.

My father was right. Again. But was I really ready to do that? Could I watch as she gave away her blood? It wasn't as easy as he made it sound.

My father moved around the desk to sit on the chair next to mine. He was quiet for a few moments, before he spoke with a much softer tone.

"When I first met your mother... God, she was so infuriating. She had no sense of self-preservation. She jumped head first into everything. It took us a while to figure out how things could work out between us. And they did. But it wasn't because your mom suddenly became an obedient little puppy, I wouldn't have wanted that anyways.

"It was because I let her do what she believed was right. I let her be for a while and talked to her. After some time, she could see for herself my point of view. She was still a little reckless, that was just part of who she was, but she started thinking things through more often.

"And I had to accept that she wouldn't change. I had to accept that and make sure that I at least knew what went through her head so I could help her. Because I realized that with or without me, she would do what she believed was right. At least when I was there, I could make sure she was safe. And she let me. Your mother spoke to me about everything. What she thought about things and what she wanted to do. At times, just talking out loud made her see the fault in her ways. And we worked.

"I'm not saying that either of you should erase themself to let the other have their way, you both should see the other's point of view. You have to learn to work together."

I lowered my head, ashamed of how I'd acted. As if I had any right to order her around, to raise my voice at her.

Dad patted my shoulder. "You shouldn't forget that she's still an eighteen year old girl, Ezra. She's still coming into her self, still blooming. You're quite lucky that she is much more mature than her age and that she has a good head on her shoulders.

"But if you don't want her to hate you, you need to talk to her. Let her breathe. You're not her keeper, you can't just order her to act against her convictions and expect her to obey. Because mate or not, she will hate you if you do that."

I nodded. Dad ruffled my hair and pointed to the door. "Go. Don't let wounds fester. The earlier you treat them, the better."

I sprang to my feet and walked to the door. With my hand on the knob, I looked over my shoulder to Dad. He had leaned his head back and closed his eyes, wearing his usual expression. But I knew his mind had gone to a faraway place. If only Mom would wake up...