STEP 4 B

None of your colleagues blame you when you call to say you still aren't feeling up to work quite yet. Your EMT friend, Stephen, passes on greetings from the paramedic team and you tell him to give them your thanks.

It's still early, only seven in the evening. You decide fresh air will do you good so you walk to the large dogpark near your house. During the day the space is full of families with their pets, couples out for a stroll, and students escaping the confines of their dorms. But at this hour all the families are home having dinner, the couples are curled on the couch watching each other more than the movie playing on the TV, and the students are gathering snacks and other supplies before embarking on a full night of studying. You have the park to yourself.

A slight noise draws your attention to a small creature huddled underneath a bench. The cat's leg is injured, likely earlier in the day by one of the many dogs let loose to roam while their masters busy themselves with conversation.

A persistent voice inside you tells you to end the poor thing. You are so startled by this that you don't notice when your teeth pierce your bottom lip or your bones crack because you've always had the urge to heal, not harm. That desire to heal is forgotten when you land on all fours.

The cat stinks of fear and that excites you. The animal hisses and swipes at you but you grin at its weak attempts at defense and sink your teeth into the warm flesh.

When you're done the beast settles a bit and you feel horror and disgust swamp you. You run, unable to marvel at the speed at which the distance passes, until you reach the bridge where your car was found just days ago.

The animal in you balks when it understands what you mean to do but it's too late. It ceded control and now you refuse to give it back.

A man with blond hair watches you fall and a wolfish cry splits the night when your body hits the water.

END OF PATH