STEP 3 A

You manage to slip from Carl's grasp and you dive for your car. You just barely make it inside, slamming and locking the doors behind you.

Carl beats on the window and it cracks. He snarls, his teeth inhumanly sharp.

You get the key in the ignition and you jerk the car into the deserted street.

Carl is behind you, coming straight for the car at unnatural speed and his back is curved, sending chills through you at its complete and utter alienness. His ears look like they're higher on his head than they were a few moments before.

Without thinking you throw the car into reverse and close your eyes at the sickening thump. You roll forward again and hear a crunch and a scream. You reverse once more and this time there is no scream.

You hurry to leave, seeing in your rearview mirror creatures like a cross between apes and dogs slink from the shadows to crouch over the corpse in the middle of the dimly lit street.

With a shudder, you head to the nearest carwash and look forward to scrubbing tonight's events from your car and yourself, the latter with the dozen showers you plan to take.

You inhale deep and shaking. That was too close for comfort, even if what you saw was impossible.

END OF PATH