Nine

The girls standing nearby trembled with fear. One of them was trying to calm a client down, stuttering and trembling while doing so. The client had proven to be a huge asshole within five minutes. He had bumbed into Tanjirou, who was happily running around in the halls laughing brightly. The client obviously hated children and once he saw Tanjirou, he had gotten even closer to him and slapped the young boy.

"Sir please stop-"

Why the hell should I?! Don't any of you whores know to keep your stupid kids under control?!" The client's voice boomed, startling Tanjirou even more.

Tanjirou took a closer look at the client's appearence. As uncontrolable rage took over him, the client's face twisted into a hideous expression. Tanjirou was raised by Warabihime, who told him that the more beautiful you are, the more valuable you are. The client was nothing but pretty, he was ugly.

The client once again smacked Tanjirou, this time a red bruise formed on Tanjirou's soft skin. Most of the girls tensed up, and two of them left the scene. The sensitive skin began to burn and Tanjirou bursted into tears.

"Shut the hell up!" The client yelled.

"Sir, stop that! I- I'll have to kick you out if you don't stop!" The woman next to him warned.

"What the hell!? You have no right to kick me out! Keep your brats somewhere else!"

"Meanie! Meanie! Meanie!" Tanjirou yelled between his cries. "Ugly! Ugly!"

Tanjirou's insults enraged the client even more. "You little-!"

"What the hell is going on here?"

Everyone turned to the source of the voice. Warabihime was standing in the hallway. She was furious.

"Wa-Warabihime-oiran-!"

"Okaa-san!" Tanjirou cried and ran to his mother.

Warabihime crouched down, taking her son into her arms. She stroked Tanjirou's soft hair as the boy sobbed into her shoulder. Her expression changed from a sympathic one to an absolutely furious one as she turned to face the client.

"Who the hell are you to slap MY son?!" Warabihime asked furiously.

The client, now faced with Warabihime's terrifying aura, realized why the girls were trying to make him stop. He was unable to form a single word. He felt like he couldn't breathe, Warabihime's murderous glare unabling him to bring any air into his lungs, his limbs felt numb.

Warabihime turned her attension back to Tanjirou, still sobbing into her kimono. When she spoke, her voice was softer and gentler.

"Shh... Don't cry sweetie. Mama's here.. Don't worry."

About two minutes later Tanjirou stopped crying. Clunging tightly to his mother, Tanjirou's cries died out, being replaced by occasionals sniffles. Warabihime smiled gently, then began to walk towards her room. Everyone knew that tonight, she would refuse to take any clients.

And only Warabihime knew that tonight would be the client's last night.