Welcome to Metropolis

Start from the beginning

We get a table, but before I sit, Dad grabs me by the shoulder, " Clark, Louis, this is my youngest Danny, Damians' twin."

" I'm guessing the Gazzet didn't need that retraction," says Clark, eyeing me. After the article came out, there was a lot of speculation. The picture was extremely blurry, as expected, and after "careful" deliberation, the public decided I was just Damian and that the reporter made a mistake. The Gazzet chose to put out a retraction, though there remained some speculation online.

" It's nice to meet you, Danny," says Louis.

"It's nice to meet you, too," I say.

Once seated and ordered, Jon asks, " So Danny, where have you been all this time? Damian never mentioned you."

" Uh," I glance around the table, unsure what to say, "around."

" Were you with your mom?" Connor asks.

" No, it's been a while since I last saw her," I admit, hoping the food will come soon. " What do you do for work?" I deflect to the adults.

" We're both reporters for the Daily Planet," says Clark.

I nod inI nod in interest, but the discussion doesn't go anywhere. The Kents and the rest of my family talk with familiarity and try to include me, but I'm not sure what to say.

The food arrives, saving me from the conversation.

' Family friends,' I think, ' what does that even mean?' How much do they know? The longer we sit here, the more obvious it becomes that this family isn't normal.

Their souls feel weird.

All souls have a unique feeling to them. Not one is the same. If you're around someone long enough, you can recognize them by the feel of it. If any ghost can do it, I'm not sure, but it feels similar to my ghost sense.

Soul sensing.

From what I can tell, Louis is the only human- a baseline one at that. While the other three are related but not fully. Clark feels vaguely familiar, alien, but from where? I've traveled through non-human portions of the realms before. Interacted with all types of people in the busier social hubs and cities, but I still have trouble from time to time telling them all apart.

I can tell Jon is both Clark's and Louis's. His human soul mixes and swirls into his otherness naturally.

Unlike Connor.

He feels like Clark, and not as in that's my kid kind of way Jon does, but like Clark. Like he is him. But still not. There's someone else mixed in, and it's not Louis. Connors' soul feels like melted-down plastic, muddled together to make something, someone new. Deprived of time and growth. Molded to a certain image.

He reminds me of Dani.

" You ready?" Cass asks, breaking me out of his thoughts. I look around to see everyone gathering their things, ready to leave.

" Yeah, sorry," I say, not seeing Cass's worried look.

Our families pay and go separate ways.

I don't say anything on the way back to the hotel, which must have gained Dad's attention. He starts to slow down, letting the others pass him to sync up with me, " We walk for another half a block, then Dad asks, " What did you think of the Kents?"

" They were nice."

" You didn't speak much," Dad says.

I put my hands in my pockets, " Didn't have much to say."

We're almost to the hotel when Dad remarks, "You stumbled when asked about Talia."

" I didn't want to lie to them," I admit, looking up at the stars, " Tim said they were honorary family. I didn't want to lie to people so important to everyone. It didn't feel right."